Author Topic: travel between NZ & OZ  (Read 658 times)

Offline Kat chat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
travel between NZ & OZ
« on: Tuesday 24 April 12 05:15 BST (UK) »
I have a relative who went to Sydney, ended up marrying over there & stayed.  I know she's buried there and from her death transcription & the number of years she'd been there, she went in 1934.

Question is - how open was immigration between OZ & NZ back then.  Would there be shipping lists for her entry into OZ - how would I find out how she got there?

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
Re: travel between NZ & OZ
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 April 12 07:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Kat, This question was asked and answered earlier this month.
Many thanks to
FRAN1946

"Until 1949 both Australians and New Zealanders were British Subjects so it's probable that someone arriving in the 1920's would not have been classed as an immigrant as they would have automatic Australian citizenship. Try looking at the passenger lists (see Australian Resources). The records for immigrants arriving in that period at held by the National Archive in Canberra  but I believe arrivals at Sydney are not on line, you have to request a copy. If you could let us have a name I'm sure someone could help".
Nothing has changed it is still the western suburb of Auckland. ;D

Neil :-X
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: travel between NZ & OZ
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 April 12 07:40 BST (UK) »
The other place to try might  be the Immigration Museum in Melbourne who have a section Ask the Expert.

http://museumvictoria.com.au/immigrationmuseum/discoverycentre/

Bit of a long shot but perhaps.............

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk