Author Topic: Whereabouts of Mill Farm near Killead, County Antrim  (Read 3713 times)

Offline cdrathbone

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Whereabouts of Mill Farm near Killead, County Antrim
« on: Wednesday 25 April 12 03:36 BST (UK) »
I have traced my McElrath ancestors back to Mill Farm near Killead and Aldergrove. They were living there in the 1700"s. I can't seem to find it on a map today. Does anyone know where Mill Farm is located. I don't know whether it was a town, community, name of a road or a farm. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Dean Rathbone

Offline maggiemay13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Whereabouts of Mill Farm near Killead, County Antrim
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 May 13 19:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Dean
You may know this by now.  Killead is a small village beside Belfast International Airport, Aldergrove.  You will find Killead Road on Google Maps.  Mill Farm is probably just that the name of a farm but you could try this website fro more info.  www.glenavyhistory.com/killead_presbyterian_church.html

I have a mystery to sort out in the search for ancestors which concerns a Captain John Mcelrath.  I wonder if you might have some clues for me.

Captain John Mcelrath is named on marriage entry for Robert Orr (His son,1848-1888) and Eliza Young in Dundonald Co Down 1866.
We always thought our Orr family came from Scotland in 1600's and were in Antrim area in 1700's and then moved to East Belfast.  Dundonald would be in present day East Belfast.
I cannot make the Melrath connection and therefore cannot take my search any further.
Have you information which you are willing to share?
Incidentally I found another as yet unverified, Mcelroth reference in Dundonald which has military and American connections.

From  http://revpatrickcomerford.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/a-visit-to-stormont-and-dundonald.html
"Another broken slab in the graveyard is said to include unfortunate examples of punctuation and spelling. It is said to be inscribed in part:

Lieut. Colonel Robert McLeroth late of the 57th regt. He entered His Majesty’s service in 1769, his promotion – his merit; alone he served in the American War, was a brave and popular officer a benevolent and kind brother uncle and friend to all his relatives he died 26th March 1805 in the sixty-fifth year of his age regretted by all his acquaintances and Freinds.

Hope I have been of some help and you willing to reciprocate,"
MM
PS I live in Co Antrim.

Offline ASwann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 December 14 07:16 GMT (UK) »
Maggie-  Do you have any connection with Rev. Robert Orr of Killead?

Anita

Offline Noplacelikehome

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 November 15 00:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello Dean,

I have good news for you.  I know where Mill Farm and the nearby derelict Mill is situated near Killead,  in Antrim.  I'm 99% sure this is the Farm and house you've been searching for, and it's still there!    You may be able to view photographs of the house on Streetview or Goolgle Earth! 😁

The address is -
MILL FARM
39, Antrim Road,
Aldergrove,
Crumlin
ANTRIM
BT29 4DY
Northern Ireland
United Kingdom

Google earth with this address detail, let's you view the side gate entrance to MILL FARM. (The Farm name is on the gates.)  Move the cursor towards the Antrim Road, then turn left.  On this road move the cursor on slightly 2 or 3 times,then swing round to view the house on the left with a central arched window. This house, barns and outbuildings are what you've been searching for, MILL FARM.
It's about 5 miles as the crow flies to Killead, which is a small hamlet, Killead Presbyterian Church with which your family had connections, is in the centre of Killead.  You wouldn't be able nowadays to travel by road from the house to the church in a 'straight line', as there is an airport, BELFAST INTERNATION AIRPORT situated between the two,hence there would be a slight detour around the Airport.
I live in the area, that's how I noticed the name, 'Mill Farm' on the gates!

HOPE this helps you in someway.

More info for you at the Church:-
Grave of William McElrath, MILL FARM.
Containing an inscription to:
Robert Harper McElrath Royal Dublin Fusiliers killed in action 21st October, 1918 aged 32 years, youngest son of the late James McElrath buried in Dadizeele Cemetery, France.
"His duty nobly done."
The following details are from the Commonwealth War Graves Commission and is reproduced with their permission:
Robert Harper McElrath, Private 25459.
1st Bn Royal Dublin Fusiliers.
Grave/Memorial reference I.B.30 Dadizeele New British cemetery.
Son of the late James and Mary McElrath, of "Mill Farm", County Antrim this road look to the

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 November 15 09:06 GMT (UK) »
Duplicate topic on correct (Antrim) board-
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=525690.new#new
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline PMurphy65

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 09 January 16 13:38 GMT (UK) »
hi dean. I found your enquiry about mill farm quite by accident. I bought the farm in 2014 and have renovated the original house which dates from 1710. the title deeds go back to 1870 because before that the farm was part of the larger Cunningham estate. id be interested to hear if you have any more information about your ancestors and I would be pleased to look into it from the deeds

rgds
Paul Murphy

Offline kyrameeke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 07 March 22 18:51 GMT (UK) »
Well I found this also - as my husband is also  descendant of the McElraths - Mary who married James Steele Meeke and moved to Omagh.

Kyra Meeke