Author Topic: George D.Davies Carbondale Pennslyvania  (Read 2167 times)

Offline Bethan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
George D.Davies Carbondale Pennslyvania
« on: Thursday 19 May 05 10:45 BST (UK) »
Please can anyone help me?I am looking for George D Davies who emigrated to    Pennslyvania in 1887-8,does anyone have acess to the 1890 or 1900 census for Carbonville?What I am trying to determine is wether the rest of his family emigrated with him,He was born in Cadoxton  Glamorgan Wales in around 1869,so that would make him 21 in 1890,it is possible that his parents David+Mary Davies birthplace Carmarthen Wales along with his Brothers William,Thomas,David, John+Daniel Davies went with him,by 1900 he had marriedFrances Amanda Stanton,if anyone could help me to solve this problem I would be really gratefull,   Thanks a lot for your interest,Bethan        (sorry it should be Carbondale not ville)
Denton,Barfoot,Emery in Bedford.Howells of Pembroke,Davies of Rhymney,Jones of Carmarthen.

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My reason for digging! Two nutkins!
    • View Profile
Re: George D.Davies Carbondale Pennslyvania
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 June 05 02:00 BST (UK) »
There is no longer a 1890 US census.  It was destroyed by fire.  I will try to look in the 1900 census.  How sure are you that he was in Carbondale at this time?  He could have moved.  Do you know when in 1900 he married? 

George William Burke.. my missing link!! son of Wm Burke & Mary Jane Stone/Morris
Shields & Milner- Patrington  & Bilton, Yorkshire<br />Nixon & Bowers - Appleby, Broughton & Messingham, Lincolnshire<br />Hancock &Tyson- Tetford, Skendleby & Spilsby, Lincolnshire<br />Cochrane- Darvel, Loudon, Ayrshire<br />Yuill, Hardie- Paisley, Renfrewshire<br />Kennedy, Gardener & Clelland- Glasgow, Lanarkshire & Paisley, Renfrewshire<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchive

Offline Bethan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 June 05 15:42 BST (UK) »
Dear Nutkin, Thank you so much for your interest, I believe that George D Davies was living there in 1900, and my family in America think that he got married around 1897, he married a lady called Francis Amanda Stanton, and they seem to think that he lived in Wyoming street but they cannot be certain, Thank you again for your help,Bethan
Denton,Barfoot,Emery in Bedford.Howells of Pembroke,Davies of Rhymney,Jones of Carmarthen.

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 June 05 01:54 BST (UK) »
I think I found him in 1900. There were many errors in the 1900 census (or so I have found with my family)

Carbondale Ward 3, Lackawanna, Pennsylvania, Page: 9A; Enumeration District: 9.
Park Street
George Davies, born April 1872, married 4 years,born in Wales, immigrated 1887, Naturalized, machine shop laborer, rents home
Francine Davis, wife, born August 1874 in PA, 1 child, 1 surviving
Isabelle, daughter, born October 1897, PA

I cannot confirm if the other names you listed are related. There are 23 people with the name Davies in Carbondale and many permutations of the names who were all born in Wales.  I would need some more details to find the siblings such as date of birth and parents date of birth.

Hope this helps- Kristin

George William Burke.. my missing link!! son of Wm Burke & Mary Jane Stone/Morris
Shields & Milner- Patrington  & Bilton, Yorkshire<br />Nixon & Bowers - Appleby, Broughton & Messingham, Lincolnshire<br />Hancock &Tyson- Tetford, Skendleby & Spilsby, Lincolnshire<br />Cochrane- Darvel, Loudon, Ayrshire<br />Yuill, Hardie- Paisley, Renfrewshire<br />Kennedy, Gardener & Clelland- Glasgow, Lanarkshire & Paisley, Renfrewshire<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchive

Offline Bethan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 June 05 15:59 BST (UK) »
Dear Kirstin,thank you so much for the information,I am sorry that I have taken so long to reply. I think that this is the correct George Davies as most of the points fit,Please would it be possible for you to look up William Davies@1859 Wales+Thomas Davies@1862Wales in the Carbondale census for 1900,we believe that they emigrated the same time as George and are trying to confirm it,If the lookup is too much trouble do not worry as you have been more than helpfull already,Thank you again and best wishes,     
Bethan

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 05 June 05 21:07 BST (UK) »
Do you know their spouses names?  It seesm there are a few candiates that may fit these men... The first and last names were very common and all seem to have worked in the coal mines and immigrated about the same time.  Just need somehting to narrow down the search.

Offline Bethan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 05 June 05 21:21 BST (UK) »
Dear Kirsten,unfortunately I have not got a clue as to thier spouses so it looks like another dead end,Thank you anyway for your interest,I realise that there must have been quite a lot of Davieses from Wales that emigrated for the coalmines so it would be an impossible task to trace these two,what we are trying to find out is wether the whole family emigrated together,as we cannot find a death record for the parents David+Mary in Wales,Thank you again for all your trouble,Bethan

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 07 June 05 02:52 BST (UK) »
If you think of anything else, please post and I can see what I can do.  Always like to help solve a dead end.  I love the rush I get.   ;D