Author Topic: Afron?  (Read 9587 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Afron?
« Reply #81 on: Saturday 28 April 12 09:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike

It seems to fit together - what are the inconsistencies? Ages, for eg, are often slightly (maybe greatly) out in censuses. In 1861, Elizabeth might be a servant elsewhere(usual for a 14 year old from that background  at that time) or she might have died  :-\

If it's Bala - this could refer to Bala Lake as well as the town of Bala. Llanuwchllyn is the parish at the southern end of Bala Lake.

I have to be away soon so ..............

gnu

Added - note that Llanuwchllyn is 18 km from Dolgellau
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Saturday 28 April 12 10:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks gnu.

Yes - it was whether Bala could refer to Lake Bala, the fuzzy ages and also Gwen is once listed as being born in Denbighshire. I'm happy with it now though. Later, I'm going to ask you about those baptism records, which I'm not familiar with but for now - thanks again. Have a good day.

Mike

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Saturday 28 April 12 10:09 BST (UK) »
As an aside about Bala and Vron -

As a little girl, the family used to go to Bala for a day out (uncle had a car!). We really went to Bala Lake (Llyn Tegid) and not the town of Bala but it was always referred to as going to Bala. I had my first taste of egg sandwiches  on one of the picnics and named them 'Bala Lake sandwiches'. The name stuck for years.

Vron ~ We had relatives in Vron, and I used to visit them with my mother once a week. Vron is built on the side of a very steep hillside. The bus stopped at the bottom of the hill and the Davieses lived at the top - good excercise  ;D ;D ;D

gnu
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Saturday 28 April 12 19:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks gnu and William.

A couple of things. To get further back with this line (and others) I guess I need to be looking at parish registers and other sources. That is all new ground for me. Any advice on where to go next would be very useful.

Second, and much more cheekily - if you fancy another challenge, I have a post on the Shropshire board looking for the family of William Edward Jones - Amy's husband, and my great-grandad.  Any help would be gratefully received.

Best wishes

Mike

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Saturday 26 May 12 17:32 BST (UK) »
Gnu and William

It's been a while since you gave me such fantastic help with this thread and i thought you deserved an update - if you can remember much about it.

Quite a lot of the story depended on the suggested marriage between William Williams and Catherine Williams. Without this, it would all be speculation. Well, the good news is that I now have their marriage certificate and it's spot on.

William Williams (24) married Catherine Williams (21) on 17th January 1862, in the Primitive Methodists Chapel, Chapel Street, Wem. Catherine's father was John Williams, Farm labourer, and William's  was Thomas Williams, Farm Labourer. This means that we correctly identified not only Catherine's parents (John and Gwen Williams), but also William's ( Thomas and Mary Williams).

Now that I have confirmation that everyone is who we thought they were, I'd like some guidance on how to find more about John and Gwen. If I understood the baptism data properly, Gwen was a Jones before she was married. Gnu - you posted a possible baptism for her in 1801, d/o John and Catherine Jones but you had some reservations about whether it was actually her or not. The date is a little older than the run of censuses would suggest, but it's not a mile out.

You also posted a baptism record for Jane which seemed to have more information on than the corresponding link to the LDS record of the same event. Can I ask where this came from (and the potential Gwen Jones baptism)? I'm more than happy to buy a CD, or subscribe to a site, as long as I know where to look.

I hope this makes sense.  Above all, thanks both of you for putting me on the right track with this family, I never would have got there without your help.

Best regards

Mike