Author Topic: MERRITT  (Read 6413 times)

Offline BJM

• RootsChat Extra
  • MURPHY
    • View Profile
MERRITT
« on: Thursday 26 April 12 00:22 BST (UK) »
Looking for any Merritts still residing in the Offaly/North Tipperary area, specifically around Birr. My Great great grandmother(b.1843) was Catherine Merritt - daughter of Richard & Mary Ann Merritt and elder sister of Henry Merritt. She was born and raised in Birr before marrying there and moving to Scotland in 1864.

Thanks

Brian
MURPHY, Richard 1837/Edward C1815 Cork, Ireland - MERRITT, Catherine 1843/Richard 1803 Birr, Co.Offaly, Ireland  - MURPHY, Daniel 1866 Ayr, Scotland

Offline Mick_Dolan86

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MERRITT
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 June 12 16:07 BST (UK) »
I just found my Great Grandfather, James Dolan's obituary in the Nenagh Guardian. He died on 11th February 1951 in Cloughjordan, Co. Tipperary and one of his daughters married a Sydney Merritt. As far as I know she was Elizabeth Dolan and they emigrated to the US subsequently. I don't know if there are any Merritts stll in the area.

Offline BJM

• RootsChat Extra
  • MURPHY
    • View Profile
Re: MERRITT
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 June 12 10:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Mick

Thanks for that information. I actually live just outside Cloughjordan and I have recently come across records of Merritts in the village in the early 1900s. But your Merritt connection is new information to me. I really appreciate you taking the time to let me know about this.

Thanks

Brian
MURPHY, Richard 1837/Edward C1815 Cork, Ireland - MERRITT, Catherine 1843/Richard 1803 Birr, Co.Offaly, Ireland  - MURPHY, Daniel 1866 Ayr, Scotland