Author Topic: No named father on Marriage Certificate  (Read 3884 times)

Offline Marmalady

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: No named father on Marriage Certificate
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 29 April 12 18:21 BST (UK) »
The "OTP" on a marriage entry just indicates where the person was living at the time of the marriage -- and as the residence qualification was a mere 3 weeks it certainly cannot be taken as any indication of their birthplace
Wainwright - Yorkshire
Whitney - Herefordshire
Watson -  Northamptonshire
Trant - Yorkshire
Helps - all
Needham - Derbyshire
Waterhouse - Derbyshire
Northing - all

Offline charwatkin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 29 April 12 19:25 BST (UK) »
If they only needed three weeks to be married in that parish... then maybe I need to look at one of the nearby Llanvihangel parishes.

Would it have the place of his birth on his death record? There are TWO John Watkins... same age, same place & time in the index. How do I know which is mine if I order? Is there any way to find out, before to be sure it is the one I want??

I've been looking at the Llangenny area & it is quite small. That is where John & Elizabeth both lived when they died. Would the parish Church yard be their burial place?
Watkins:
Llanbeder, Brecon - Llantillo Crosseney, Monmouth
Bates: Longney, Glouc
Brain: Little Dean, Glouc
Sykes: Herforshire - Llanbedr, Brecon

Offline Marmalady

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 29 April 12 19:42 BST (UK) »
No, it won't have his place of birth on his death certificate -- that wasn't introduce untill (i think) the 1960's

You could contact the local Register Office with the details that you know (last known address, occupation, wife) and see if one of the certificates match those details.
(Thos this isn't foolproof -- i recently did this and got told they couldnt find the certificate -which turned out to be because the son-in-law who gave the information gave the wrong forename for his MIL's husband who had died some 40 yrs earlier)

As for being buried in the parish churchyard -- that would depend on how big a graveyard it has -- if only a small graveyard it could be full and burials take place at the municipal cemetary some miles away. Or, particularly in Wales, there could be a number of small Chapels in the area that might have graveyards
Wainwright - Yorkshire
Whitney - Herefordshire
Watson -  Northamptonshire
Trant - Yorkshire
Helps - all
Needham - Derbyshire
Waterhouse - Derbyshire
Northing - all