Author Topic: St Laurence Church, Frodsham - MIs?  (Read 5202 times)

Offline JDGen

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: St Laurence Church, Frodsham - MIs?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 06 May 12 09:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Lizzie,

I've just found Frodsham MI's on the Cheshire collectioon on FindMyPast but I don't know what years are covered.  I think it is the book I was referring to before, it's a bit like a grave register with the entry of who is buried and then the MI transcription below.

Might save you a trip to Cheshire...

Jean
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

CHS: Barber(Tabley) Barlow(Antrobus) Blackshaw(Lymm, Mobberley) Blease/Done/Moore(G Bud) Owen(Netherton, Tabley) Spragg/Witter(Goostrey) Youd(Frodsham) Pennell Bankes Birchall Beckett
DBY: Higginbottom(Mellor)
HRT: Gurney
HRT/BED/ESS: Verney (Markyate St)
LAN: Davenport(Bolton) Schofield/Gurney(Oldham) Lord(Heap) Quinn(Manchester) Sutcliffe(Rossendale)
NTH: Tubb/Johnson(Hellidon)Brown(Kettering)
YKS: Scott(Clapham)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 06 May 12 23:01 BST (UK) »
Thank you Jean.  I've been looking at some of the Cheshire records.  I'll have to make a list of the ancestors I'm interested in and then check each one on FindMyPast.  As you say it might save a trip to Cheshire.

Lizzie

Offline archives 1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 19 July 12 21:07 BST (UK) »
The Rock Library,Frodsham has a complete record of all the graves in the Frodsham Parish Church grounds.

A comprehensive survey was carried out about 2004  following numerous requests 'where is/are my ??;

No longer living in Frodsham,sorry, am unable to provide with contact details. The other aspect you may well find of interest is,the Library also holds a number of census records too.. again, contact the library for information.

A number of graves are now cordoned off', having been deemed 'unsafe'-which, they are.These graves are in the older part of the church yard.
I do hope this information is useful. Here to help.. :)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 25 July 12 17:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Archives

Sorry for delay in getting back to you, I've been in hospital.

Thank you for the information.  I've found a CD I was sent some time ago of Frodsham Parish Register entries.  I've only looked at the births previously, but have just checked and it has burials at St Paul's Church and St John's Church from 1558-1812.  I'll have fun going through that list, but I'm more interested in 1800-1900.

When I get back into the swing of things I'll see what I can find on FindMyPast and then, if necessary, contact The Rock Library.

Lizzie

Offline GILLIAN52

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 18 August 13 21:24 BST (UK) »
Hello probably not the right place to post but my ancestors the Forsters lived in Alvanley and Frodsham in the 1500s and 1600s, I think the church in Alvanley wasnt built until about 1790 so is it likely they would have been buried at Frodsham I was thinking most likely St Laurence does anyone know if there is a list of burials anywhere. Thank you

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 18 August 13 23:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Gillian

Findmypast has Cheshire records, there are 3 Forsters Robert 1568, Thomas 1569 and Willm 1560, but they are in Marton (near Congleton) the first two and Brereton-cum-Smethwick Willm.  Then from about 1580 onwards there are 100s but none in Frodsham.   However, there are 109 buried at Frodsham but they are late 1700s and then 1800s.

Lizzie

Offline archives 1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 19 August 13 16:32 BST (UK) »
 :) Another line of thought you might consider,Gillian ? The county papers..Chester Chronicle ,not too sure of the Northwich based papers, good old Google could help you out  ;). The genealogy publications -another source. Frodsham has its own free magazine, Frodsham Life. Look at the Frodsham web site for further information, possibly try the Frodsham & District Local History Society too are brilliant at responding to enquiries.

Should 'time be your friend,' a visit to the Chester Records Office is an invaluable source of information..a tip, if you are looking for particular records,in your case, church records..births/marriages/deaths, the staff will have the records etc ready for you on arrival.. saving very precious visiting time.

Hoping this information is helpful Gill, that you are now improving  :)

Sincerely,
Archives1

Offline GILLIAN52

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 22 August 13 10:13 BST (UK) »
Lizzie and Archives, thank you so much for your replies and advice I will certainly look into them and see what I can find.  My line starts with Randal Forster 1535 Whitegate but have wills from William in Alvanley and also Frodsham so was unsure where to look with going so far back, so again thank you for your help.

Gillian