Author Topic: Restrictions on viewing images at LDS site Family Search  (Read 24392 times)

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
Restrictions on viewing images at LDS site Family Search
« on: Thursday 26 April 12 20:48 BST (UK) »
I just tried to view images from the Strood, Kent baptism register on the LDS site and I got a box that says:

"This image is available: - When using the site at a family history center. - To signed-in members of supporting organizations."

Does anyone know why some of the records are now restricted? If they're online, why aren't they available to everyone?

According to this page, these Anglican Church records are available online only to Mormons:
https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/England,_Kent,_Parish_Registers_and_Bishop%27s_Transcripts_%28FamilySearch_Historical_Records%29

"Whenever possible, FamilySearch makes images available for all users. However, ultimate rights to view images on our website are granted by the record custodians. The England, Kent, Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts collection is available to the Family History Library, FamilySearch Centers, and to members of the supporting organization, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The images can be viewed at a FamilySearch Center near you."

That doesn't sound right and it completely contradicts something stated higher up on the page:

"These projects are part of an agreement with the Centre for Kentish to digitize and publish our microfilm holdings. The images have all been scanned and delivered. We will be creating waypoint data with the help of the archive, we will publish images for FamilySearch Members and deliver the data to the archive as they are implementing the 'Reading Room Solution'."

Am I reading this wrong? When I signed up for the Family Search website, should I have lied and said I was a Mormon? Would that have allowed me to see the church records of my Anglican family members?

Or is it because they haven't finished the posthumous baptisms of my already-Christian ancestors who were properly baptized by the Anglican church according to the wishes of their parents?
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Online Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Restrictions on viewing images at LDS site Family Search
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 April 12 23:55 BST (UK) »
You are right, at the moment it appears you have to be a member of the LDS church to view the records.

Related thread here: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,594276.0.html

Alexander

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 April 12 03:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much, Alexander!
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 April 12 07:39 BST (UK) »
The page gives you the answer to your question.

It is very simple the organisation which holds the records (The Centre for Kentish Studies) licenced the images of the records to the LDS with restrictions on who could access them.

These restrictions prevent the LDS displaying the image on their open website but allow access at family history centers.

Instead of shooting the messenger (in this case the LDS) your anger should be directed at the Centre for Kentish Studies who put the restrictions of use on the images.

Incidentally such restrictions of use are nothing new, even back in the days of microfilmed records some archives restricted who the LDS could supply with their microfilms.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Online PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 April 12 08:20 BST (UK) »
You are right, at the moment it appears you have to be a member of the LDS church to view the records.

No you don't. It's a matter of just walking in the front door and asking to use the search facilities. No, it isn't as convenient as sitting by your own PC, but still  hours travel better than going to Kent.

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 27 April 12 12:21 BST (UK) »
Guy -- Thanks for your response. As a woman I maintain my right to shoot whomever I please with my righteous indignation but in future I will try to improve my aim.  ;)

I find it puzzling that the regional owner of Anglican documents would restrict them to non-Anglicans. It seems bizarre to me. I guess no one but the Centre for Kentish Studies and the LDS could tell me the origins and motives for such a rule.

Pauline -- It isn't a matter of a mere inconvenience for me. There isn't an LDS centre with that type of set-up where I live and I don't drive. True, it might be easier than getting on a plane and flying to England, but in the end it's just as impossible. So near and yet so far. I appreciate your response.  :)

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 27 April 12 12:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Josephine

find it puzzling that the regional owner of Anglican documents would restrict them to non-Anglicans. It seems bizarre to me. I guess no one but the Centre for Kentish Studies and the LDS could tell me the origins and motives for such a rule.

One possibility is that the Archive/Diocese are looking at putting the images on a commercial site. Some other counties such as Cheshire have taken this line whilst Essex have set up their own subscription site.

Andy

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 27 April 12 12:35 BST (UK) »
Jospephine, a request on the Kent board for a lookup of your baptism might be worth trying. You might find someone who is planning a visit to the Centre for Kentish studies who may be willing to help.  :)

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 27 April 12 12:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much, Ruskie.  :)