Author Topic: Henry Jones and Ann marriage 1871 to 1881 -help please  (Read 1394 times)

Offline ianocon

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Henry Jones and Ann marriage 1871 to 1881 -help please
« on: Friday 27 April 12 05:38 BST (UK) »
I've had great help from the Carmarthen registrars in tracking my Gt Gt Grandfather Henry Jones b Llanartheny abt 1810 and his first family. He married Mary Davies (or David) in Llanartheny on 6th Oct 1827 (witness -David Jones - possibly a father since they were underage). I've found nine children all born in Llannon parish. After Mary died at Rhydsarne Llannon in 1864 he remarried an Ann (no surname). He was a widower in 1871 but married Ann before 1881 when they were in the census at Glanyrafon in Llandebie. The registrars drew a blank on finding a second marriage certificate. If I could find it there is a chance it would confirm his father and help me back to the earlier generations. Can anyone help?
O'Connell, Frost, Marshall, Jones

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Jones and Ann marriage 1871 to 1881 -help please
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 April 12 13:31 BST (UK) »
as they're in Llannon in 1871 & 1881, and Ann gives her place of birth as Llannon, (they're in Llandybie in 1891) I would suspect they were married in the area, so registration district Llanelly & there's only one on FreeBmd between the 2 census dates

Henry Jones dec qtr 1873 Llanelly vol 11a pg 1346 with Ann Davies on the same page

You coud ask the registrars only to issue the cert if Henry is a blacksmith or similar.

The Ann in 1891 is younger than the one in 1881 and birth place Llanstephan, he didn't marry twice in later life, did he?

:-\

Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline ianocon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 April 12 10:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you osprey - very helpful.
I had thought living near Llannon they must have married in Carmarthen registry district - so had searched there without success
I live in New Zealand so am not clear about the districts!
To add some support for your finding - there was an Ann Davies, widow, living in Rhydsarnau and next to Henry (widower) in the census in 1871
She is right age, but only fly in the ointment is she stated she was born in Neath Glamorgan - so perhaps she was not the one.
I will contact the Lannelly registrars for the certificate and use your suggestion of the occupation to see if it is the right Henry.
I agree the Ann age in 1891 is different so he could have married again. but I have no way of knowing.
If there was another Ann and they married between 1881 and 1891  in  Llandybie rather than Llannon can you tell me which registration district would that be in?
Thanks again for help. Ian
O'Connell, Frost, Marshall, Jones

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 April 12 19:24 BST (UK) »
Llandybie would have under Llandilofawr registration district at the time. If you search on FreeBmd, then click on the registration district in the results, you get e.g.

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/districts.pl?r=67801423&d=bmd_1334612319

then click on here
you'll get a list of the parishes within that registration district & when & if parishes changed district.

http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/llandilofawr.html

http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/llanelly.html

All the registers are now held by the Carmarthenshire registrars in Carmarthen as these registration districts no longer exist, just to confuse.

This map of the parishes may help.

http://www.llanegwad-carmarthen.co.uk/carmarthenshireparishesmap.htm

;)
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb