Author Topic: Ada Hortense Woode  (Read 1415 times)

Offline whoissylvia

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ada Hortense Woode
« on: Saturday 28 April 12 11:12 BST (UK) »
I am looking for the Woode family [with an 'E']   Ada is married to a Woode   with an unpronuncial  christian name.  Living in Maidstone  Kent.  I only have a photo of these two but I am sure by the dress it is 1891  or 1881. Looks like they are  in their 50's maybe. By the name of the man I feel there is a foriegn ancestry here.  I know this is a bit of a long shot, but can anybody help please,  Sylvia
Deacon
Shacklady
Mcgiffin

Offline Priscilla

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Ada Hortense Woode
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 April 12 11:20 BST (UK) »
What is Mr Woode's forename?
Eccles (Hoylake / Exeter / Plymouth)
Hicks (Devonport, Plymouth)
Grafton (Exeter, Devon)
Harris (Marazion, Cornwall)
Collard (Yeovil, Somerset)
Johns (Devonport, Plymouth)
Lyle (Bude, Cornwall)

Offline whoissylvia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 April 12 12:11 BST (UK) »
The friend on whose behalf I am requesting this has gone OUT!!!!   How dare she,        actually they have gone to the Parkinsons group   her husband is not well. She wants me to find these ancestors before her husband is too ill..,  I will get back to you as soon as I can.   Many thanks   Sylvia
Deacon
Shacklady
Mcgiffin

Offline whoissylvia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 April 12 23:21 BST (UK) »
Trust me to get it all wrong!  Vera [my friend]'s mother wrote on the back of the photos the names of the people. Being farming people, education was not foremost in their minds, so they were written as they sound.   Vera's G.Grandparents were  Hearteasen Rubenstien and David William Hugentotte  which is interesting as the Huguenot's came from Belgium/France [?] and settled in Rochester. Kent. They were lacemakers,I think and had a settlement or gated comunity in Rochester High st.   Vera's grandparents were Ada Woode and Percy Charles Thompson.  Percy was an Irish tinker, or traveller.    Their children were, Dorothy,Queen, Violet, Percy and Albert. and Vera's mum, but she did not tell me her name. They all lived around Maidstone Kent.   Vera said near the Albion Pub.  But I do not think the census  would be that specific, do you?  Very grateful for any help you can give me. Thinking about the names I feel they are not the same family,  But what do I know! I remain yours sincerely,   Sylvia
Deacon
Shacklady
Mcgiffin

Offline redtonyt

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 April 12 16:24 BST (UK) »
There is a marriage registered in Maidstone District, March Q 1909, 2a/1143 with Percy THOMPSON and Ada WOOD.

Then a birth registered also in Maidstone, Sept Q 1909, 2a/877 for Dorothy May Thompson.

Look-ups from 1911 census may not be posted on RootsChat.  Information removed.  Please see here:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,355484.0.html

Registered Births in various districts of Kent, with father’s surname THOMPSON and mother’s WOOD, can be found as follows:-

Queenie A – March 1914, Maidstone 2a/1668
Percy C – Sept 1915, Maidstone 2a/1509
Violet A – Dec 1916, Hollingbourne 2a/1499
Albert J – March 1924, Hollingbourne 2a/1483

There are two other possibles
Ellen 1912, Malling
Ida 1920, Hollingbourne

Probably the next step should be to buy the marriage certificate for Percy and Ada to find their father’s name and occupations.  That is if you accept that this is the right family as there is no sign of Hortense nor Woode (only Wood) nor the use of Charles as a second name for Percy.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Tony

Offline whoissylvia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 April 12 22:55 BST (UK) »
Thankyou for that. I am sure it is the right family.  I will write it all down for Vera as my printer is having a funny turn!   Thanks once again  Sylvia
Deacon
Shacklady
Mcgiffin

Offline English Jen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 July 12 11:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Sylvia

Did you pass this information on to your friend?  I was wondering if it was the right family as Percy and Ada were my great grandparents!

Kind regards
English Jen
Letley, Kent/Anywhere ... Attempting a One Name Study.
Dunn, Yorkshire/Kent,
Garrett, Kent
Petyt, Yorkshre/Kent
Sheehan, Ireland/Kent
Summersett, Kent
Webb, Kent