Author Topic: sullivans of scrahan  (Read 1994 times)

Offline valerie88

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
sullivans of scrahan
« on: Sunday 29 April 12 05:21 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for help trying to obtain more information about my gggrandfather Simeon Sullivan B 1830 of Scrahan County Cork per his US naturalization papers. His parents were Patrick and Ellen Sullivan (B circa 1800), and he had a sister named Hannah B 1834.  Any ideas about what Catholic parish he might have been baptized in?  thanks for any help you can offer.  Valerie

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: sullivans of scrahan
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 April 12 11:38 BST (UK) »
There's more than one townland Scrahan in Co. Cork - one near to Millstreet town in North Cork, the other near Inchigeelagh in south west Cork. Do you have any clues as to which of these your [O']Sullivan's lived ?

The surname is one of the most common in the south-west so it might help narrow down your search for the correct family if you had Ellen's maiden surname..

RC records for part of south-west Co. Cork are available (free) on www.irishgenealogy.ie

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline valerie88

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 April 12 14:35 BST (UK) »
thanks for your suggestions. Unfortunately US naturalization papers are not more specific.  I will keep searching and hopefully find Ellen's maiden name.  In the meantime, would each Scrahan have a Catholic church, and if so, would anyone know the church names?  Valerie

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 April 12 16:06 BST (UK) »
To search for historic records it's the name of the parish you need rather than the church - that can change over time e.g. when a church is rededicated, or a new parish church is built etc.

There are several records on the IrishGenealogy website with Scrahan as the address. The first batch are in the RC parish of Iveleary, which is located in south west Co. Cork and also covers Inchigeela. The others are in the RC parish of Murragh & Templemartin, which is immediately south of Iveleary. No sign of any [O']Sullivans with Scrahan as their residence, but they could have been recorded under another townland closeby.  See : Scrahan, Co. Cork

The other Scrahan townland I mentioned is in north west Cork, and was part of the RC parish of Ballydesmond. This parish borders Co. Kerry and some records for it appear to be include under Kerry on IrishGenealogy.

Ballydesmond records

You can check locations of various RC parishes on the IrishTimes website. See

RC Parish North West Co. Cork

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Dulaigh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 April 12 20:41 BST (UK) »
An old farm labourer relation quoted I worked at Scrahan, Gleann Leahan and Cappa Phaudeen and I spent a tamaill at Carrolls in Tooreenfineen. Adjoining townlands betwixt Rockchapel and Brosna. Possisbly in Clonfert West.

Offline valerie88

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 April 12 23:20 BST (UK) »
thanks for the information and ideas. I will follow up. Valerie