Author Topic: Ellen RILEY: South Normanton  (Read 9082 times)

Offline acorngen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Ellen RILEY: South Normanton
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 27 September 12 13:32 BST (UK) »
Carol,

Do you still have access to the marriages because the family I am following as many researchers saying that Sarah BALL was in fact Sarah HILL prior to marriage with Jonathan MARRIOTT yet your transcription says she was a spinster which would mean a lot of people have the wrong parents.  I have found another baptism that fits with her being a spinster

Rob
WYATT, COX, STRATTON, all from south Derbyshire and the STS, LEI border Burns Fellows Gough Wilks from STS in particular Black Country and now heading into SOP

Offline acorngen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 27 September 12 13:40 BST (UK) »
How's this for a family connection? My Legacy relationship calculator describes Ezra Ball (born abt 1817 and who married a Mary Marriott) to be my granduncle William Ball (born 1863) to be (Ezra's) daughter's husband's 1st cousin once removed's husband's sister's husband

So if I get this right your gradn uncle William BALL was the son of Samuel BALL who was the son of Ezra BALL and Elizabeth COOK.  I am assuming you knew Ezra had married twice.  The only daughter I have no information on is Sarah so I am assuming this is the daughter you are meaning

Rob
WYATT, COX, STRATTON, all from south Derbyshire and the STS, LEI border Burns Fellows Gough Wilks from STS in particular Black Country and now heading into SOP

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • MENE INTUS ET IN CUTE NOVISTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 27 September 12 13:43 BST (UK) »
My granduncle by marriage was William Ball - born 1863 to Samuel Ball and Sarah Duffield. He married my maternal grandmother, (Miriam)'s, older sister Mary Naylor in 1891. Her oldest brother, Joseph, married a Marriott - Elizabeth. After he died, she had electric lighting installed in St Michael and All Angels Church in his memory. There is a plaque to that effect at the end of the nave.
Leicester / Northampton: Craxford,  Claypole, Pridmore, Pollard, Tansley, Crane, Tilley
Derby: Naylor, Ball, Haywood
Buckinghamshire: Cook
London: Craxford, Lane Crauford
Tyneside: Nessworthy, Simpson

Offline acorngen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 27 September 12 13:45 BST (UK) »
Would that be Elizabeth born 1827? the daughter of Jonathan MARRIOTT and Sarah BALL?

Rob

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 27 September 12 13:53 BST (UK) »
So if I get this right your gradn uncle William BALL was the son of Samuel BALL who was the son of Ezra BALL and Elizabeth COOK.  I am assuming you knew Ezra had married twice.  The only daughter I have no information on is Sarah so I am assuming this is the daughter you are meaning
Rob

This is a misconception which I first saw on Ancestry and which has been copied and pasted many times over. I did get in touch with a descendent in Clay Cross and went over the correct path together.

William's father - Samuel Ball - was the son of William Ball (born abt 1820) William was married twice - first to Elizabeth (?) who died shortly after giving birth to a daughter. Samuel was the son of his second wife - Mary Gaskin (Gascoigne)

Going one generation back:
William was the son of John Ball and Ann Kyte (both born around 1800)
Mary was the daughter of Samuel Gaskin and Amy Kyte

As far as I can tell, Ann and Amy were daughters of a Francis Kyte - born about 1750
Leicester / Northampton: Craxford,  Claypole, Pridmore, Pollard, Tansley, Crane, Tilley

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 27 September 12 13:55 BST (UK) »
Would that be Elizabeth born 1827? the daughter of Jonathan MARRIOTT and Sarah BALL?

Rob

Joseph Naylor's wife, Elizabeth Marriott was born in 1855 - the daughter of William Marriott and Mary Ann Hinde

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 27 September 12 13:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Rob

Sorry I don't still have the records.  I rented the SN BT's out for 3 months from my local LDS library.

I can only see a James Marriott who married Sarah Ball in 1813.

Carol
Derby- Bamford,Slater,Marriott,Lee,Fox,Hopkinson,Hawksley, Furniss, Froggatt, Stodd.
Notts - Breeding, Lacey Marriott ,Kershaw,Chambers,Geeson,Mitchell,Watts,Potts,Slack,Robinson, Cooper
Yorkshire - Potts, Bell, Derbyshire, Kershaw
Worcestershire - Dyson, Summers, Dearn, Jones
Warwickshire - Russon
Leicestershire - Stodd, Sarson, Berridge, Watts, Bradshaw.
Middlesex / Surrey - Markham, Pearce, Kalaher, Barrett

This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline acorngen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 27 September 12 14:01 BST (UK) »
Newfloridian,

You are confusing me now because I know for a fact that the William born 1863 was the son of Samuel born 1843 who was the son of Ezra born circa 1817 and Elizabeth COOK born circa 1818.  I have this documented through parish registers which I have poured over many times.  My grandfather was born at Clay Cross, we still have family in Clay Cross and yes there are lots of BALL families there with the same names.

So are you now saying that your William born 1863 was not the grandson of Ezra Ball?

Rob

Offline acorngen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 27 September 12 14:02 BST (UK) »
Carol,

yes I have also trawled through your transcriptions and its interesting it was the BT's with this information and not the PR's.  When I get time to go back to the archives (or if someone on Derbysgen gets in touch) and it says she is a widow I will let you know

Rob