Author Topic: Annie McCabe  (Read 1841 times)

Offline A bairn

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Annie McCabe
« on: Sunday 29 April 12 22:07 BST (UK) »
Annie McCabe ( ex Hastie and Cochrane ) married James McCabe in 1915, they lived in Bainsford Stirlingshire Scotland. He died in 1920 and she emigrated to Canada.
Does anyone have any info on her as she was my greatgrandmother and I would like to complete my picture of her life. There could be a link to Calgary or Medicine Hat in Canada.

Maureen

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Truth will out! (Finding it another matter!)
    • View Profile
Re: Annie McCabe
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 May 12 04:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Maureen

Her marriage to James McCabe is on Scotland's People - I don't know if you have the record - if not pm me your email address and I'll send it to you. She was 59 when they married and he was 60 - Interestingly although they lived in Falkirk (same address) they actually married in Glasgow in a civil ceremony.

She married Hugh Cochrane also in Glasgow in 1877.

It looks as if her mother was twice married as both certs show her as deceased but as Elizabeth Hastie previously Anderson maiden surname (Aikman) who married Hugh Hastie in New Monkland Lanarkshire in 1857.

Hope this helps

Ann :D
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-

Offline A bairn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 May 12 12:10 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Ann. I do have those certificates. I don't know either why they married in Glasgow  -  family secrets surfacing again ! They certainly didn't make it generally known as my granny, their daughter asked for proof of the marriage and that wasn't until the 1940s, as she was still being teased that she was a bastard by her stepbrother.

Maureen

Offline A bairn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 May 12 12:34 BST (UK) »
Hi again Ann. Just discovered RootsChat and what a wonderful/helpful site.
I've found Annie on the 1891 Falkirk census but so far haven't found her in the 1901 census in either Falkirk or Edinburgh. Think I've found her in Canada but if it is her she's down as living with a daughter Nellie. There's no Nellie on the 1891 census, there are only two daughters mentioned Ellen and Elizabeth. Do you happen to know if it was common in those days to refer to Ellen as Nellie ?

Maureen

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 May 12 12:47 BST (UK) »

Offline A bairn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 01 May 12 20:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks Brucel that's excellent info. I'm really impressed with RootsChat, the people that have sent me through info is amazing  - I've so many leads now to follow up my head is buzzing.
Cheers
Maureen