Author Topic: Who's Who ca 1910 - look up please?  (Read 3282 times)

Offline crimea1854

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Who's Who ca 1910 - look up please?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 10 May 12 14:50 BST (UK) »
Then there is his service record:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/details-result.asp?Edoc_Id=8554888&queryType=1&resultcount=10

The Crimea Medal Roll has John Cotter, Regt No.1878, shown as Colour Sergt. and Acting Adjt. Major. If you believe Wikipedia John Cotter is responsible for 'Steady the Buffs'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffs_(Royal_East_Kent_Regiment)

Martin

Offline LDW

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 10 May 12 18:56 BST (UK) »
Then there is his service record

Yes, indeed, thank you. I invested in that a while back, but no mother's name is given. However, I think we are now certain, thanks to jorose, that Francis's mother was Jane Maria HICKEY of Limerick.

The Crimea Medal Roll has John Cotter, Regt No.1878, shown as Colour Sergt. and Acting Adjt. Major. If you believe Wikipedia John Cotter is responsible for 'Steady the Buffs'

On this occasion, I believe Wikipedia is in the right of it. The family story that he was the 'Steady the Buffs' man preceded the internet by at least 80 years!
Wedd, Cotter, Nash, Hays, Stockbridge (Cambs/Herts), Pine (Kent), Chaplin (Cambs/Herts)
Frost (Cornwall), Carr.

Offline LDW

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 10 May 12 18:58 BST (UK) »
PS: Proof that JC was in the Crimea. I don't know the provenance of this pic*, so I hope I'm not doing anything illegal. I feel pretty sure the photographer is long dead. :-)

* At a guess, it's one of Roger Fenton's.
Wedd, Cotter, Nash, Hays, Stockbridge (Cambs/Herts), Pine (Kent), Chaplin (Cambs/Herts)
Frost (Cornwall), Carr.