Author Topic: Incomplete info on NSW marriage certificates  (Read 1023 times)

Offline tn17

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Incomplete info on NSW marriage certificates
« on: Monday 30 April 12 05:40 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone

I have a possibly silly question regarding the post-1856 marriage certificates from NSW that don't contain the full set of info. Is there likely to be more information in the original church records? Or are the sources one and the same (I.e the reason for the gaps is old style church forms).

I have a transcript of an incomplete marriage cert and I'm trying to work out if it's worth my while accessing the hard-to-find church registers.

Cheers,

TN

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
Re: Incomplete info on NSW marriage certificates
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 April 12 06:33 BST (UK) »
Hi TN :)

This thread ran recently and should help with your enquiry:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,546609.0.html

Cheers
Prue

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 April 12 06:51 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Some thoughts

The record you have, does it give you the denomination and the actual church for the marriage service?  If so, perhaps you could post that info here? 

Many thanks Prue for posting the link to that thread, I do so hope it is helpful, as I firmly believe that the local parish records hold so much more information than the NSW BDM records, particularly where the reconcilation has not ever been finalised.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline tn17

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 April 12 07:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks Prue and JM - very useful and interesting :)

JM - yes, the marriage was at the Church of Scotland, West Maitland, in 1857. The father of the bride is listed by name as giving consent as the bride was underage (14!). None of the other parents are listed though.

Cheers, TN

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 April 12 07:14 BST (UK) »
Well, that very definitely sounds like an UNreconciled mc to me. 

There are several active family history groups in and around Maitland.   And the Church of Scotland would be known as the Presbyterian Church until perhaps many congregations joined the Methodists and others and formed the Uniting Church.

Here are links to the Archivists for the Uniting Church http://nsw.uca.org.au/church/archives.htm
and the Presbyterians http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/AUS-NSW/2010-01/1264060133

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.