Author Topic: Looking for Annie McCabe (Hastie Cochrane)  (Read 4860 times)

Offline LindaGW

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Annie McCabe (Hastie Cochrane)
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 01 May 12 01:40 BST (UK) »
This 1934 Directory of Medicine Hat, Alberta, has Anne McCabe, widow Robert, living at 1116 Seventh Ave.  Her husband's name is wrong but it is the same address as on the border crossing document.
http://peel.library.ualberta.ca/bibliography/3895.22/153.html

Offline A bairn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 01 May 12 12:00 BST (UK) »
Thank you for explaining the Hillside Cemetary number to me, I had just assumed it was somekind of obscure reference. That date also makes sense as that would make her approx 75. She did have a son Archibald and Edinburgh makes sense as she gave birth to my granny there in 1901. Being listed as widow of Robert is confusing unless she married again after James McCabe died in 1920. There is no Nellie in the 1891 census and so far I haven't been able to find Annie in the 1901 census in Edinburgh but I still have to check the 1901 census for Falkirk. Is there a way to find Nellie's date of birth if she wasn't born in Scotland but in Canada? My granny did fly out to visit her mother in Canada and there was a rumour/talk that granny had given birth to a child on one of these visits and to hide this from my grandfather the child was brought up in Canada. It's fascinating what you can uncover in these searches regarding family secrets !

Offline LindaGW

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 01 May 12 15:26 BST (UK) »
In Canada, the provinces handle BMD records.  If this daughter was born in Alberta, it will be difficult to find out about it since Alberta doesn't have any online BMD indexes.  We often rely on newspaper birth announcements but in this case, she may not have wanted to publicize it.  ;)
Most other provinces, however, do list births up to about 100 years ago - the exact timeframe varies by province.  Do you know what surname this child might have been registered under?
Here is the general link for Medicine Hat directories. http://peel.library.ualberta.ca/bibliography/3895.html
The name Robert is confusing.  I checked a little further into that 1934 directory and Anne is living with her daughter Mrs. Nellie Bennie at that address. http://www.rootschat.com/links/0luo/
In the 1932 directory, Anne is still listed as the widow of Robert and Nellie Benie is listed as the widow of George. http://www.rootschat.com/links/0lup/
In the 1923 directory, Mrs. E. Bennie and Mrs. R. McCabe are living at 1116 Seventh Ave.  Nellie was a  common nickname for Eleanor and I suspect that was her actual name.
In the 1919 directory 1116 7th Ave. is vacant and there doesn't seem to be any sign of either Annie or Nellie.
You might wish to contact the Medicine Hat public library to see if they can provide Annie's obituary.  That may have a few answers for you.

Linda

Offline A bairn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 01 May 12 21:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much, you're putting in so much work for me. Seemingly Nellie was a pet name for Ellen.She is 12 in the 1891 census.The story was Annie emigrated with her probably married daughter.I need to find Ellen's marriage certificate to find if she married a George. The name Bennie/Binnie is interesting as my granny had a friend who visited called Mrs Binnie/Bennie not sure which is correct but will check with my cousin tomorrow.If the child did exist and was brought up by eg Nellie then he/she would bear her surname and would presumably have been registered as a home birth when Nellie might have been in her midlife period.We'll probably never find the answer to this one.I know home births were common in the UK in the 1940s but I don't know if it was the same in Canada. I'll follow up on all the links you've sent.
Maureen