Author Topic: Ashburnham and St James Church  (Read 1835 times)

Offline Ringrose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Ashburnham and St James Church
« on: Monday 30 April 12 16:00 BST (UK) »
Quite a few of my SUTTON ancestors were born,married or died in Ashburnham. On a recent visit ,in the pouring rain ,we caught a glimpse of the church inside the Ashburnham Estate.I gather this is a religious centre and although the gate was open we did not feel we could visit the church.Can anyone tell me if the church is open and are you allowed to go through the estae to it.
Many thanks
Ringrose
Mann Ringrose Prior( West London)Prior (Halstead Colchester and Sudbury)Ringrose (Northants) Clark(sussex  Bath)Light(Shropshire West London)Barber(Northants)Gaudern (Northants)Piper(Suffolk)Carter (Essex)Nightingale,Stiles,Dunk,Hedgecock(Kent)Mann(south Devon )Le Cronier,Le Quesne,Poingdestre,Esnouf,Le Guyt,Anley.Le Carteret(Jersey)Clark(Bath,Batcombe,and Nyland )
er(essex)Nightingale(kent Sussex)Sutton (sussex)

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ashburnham and St James Church
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 April 12 18:43 BST (UK) »
Hello Ringrose :)

Do you mean St Peter`s Church on the Ashburnham Estate ?

If so,the building seems to be a Conferance Centre,which you drive past to get to the Church.

Found this out by Googling :)

Kind Regards

omega
Pembrokeshire
James,Gibby,David/Davies,Evan/s,Edward,Thomas,Griffith,Brown,Richards,Phillipps
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Sussex,Mitchell,White,Hew/Hugh,Peter/s,Lower,Goring,Skinner,Cavey,Padgham,Brann,Graves,Hards,Easton,Moon,Gibb/s,Shepherd
Kent,Curties,Harris/Cleverly
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Todd,could be Old Windsor or somewhere I Lincolnshire,John Todd didn't seem to know

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 May 12 18:26 BST (UK) »
Just seen the message, bored and seeing what I have missed.

The church on the Ashburnham Estate is the Ashburnham parish church and you are allowed to drive through the estate to visit the church.  There is a car park next door to the church.  I went a couple of years ago and found a great great great grandmother's grave there.

The estate is a Conference centre but they don't have any problems with you visiting the church which is in a lovely spot.

Kerry  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Ringrose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 26 May 12 18:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks Kerry . We spent a cold wet and windy day in Brightling dallington and Ashburnham snd saw the gates to the estate but we werent sure if we were allowed in. I have Sutton Ancestors who are buried there so I will get my cousin who lives in Hastings to go along .
Thanks again....Hope the studying isnt too trying . I think its interesting what you are doing and if I was a lot younger I could see myself doing it.
Ringrose
Mann Ringrose Prior( West London)Prior (Halstead Colchester and Sudbury)Ringrose (Northants) Clark(sussex  Bath)Light(Shropshire West London)Barber(Northants)Gaudern (Northants)Piper(Suffolk)Carter (Essex)Nightingale,Stiles,Dunk,Hedgecock(Kent)Mann(south Devon )Le Cronier,Le Quesne,Poingdestre,Esnouf,Le Guyt,Anley.Le Carteret(Jersey)Clark(Bath,Batcombe,and Nyland )

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 29 May 12 19:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ringrose, very enjoyable but I am looking forward to 25 June when the last piece of work is submitted.  Then I have the summer off until it all starts again in October.

Did you go to see the cottages at Darwell?

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Ringrose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 29 May 12 21:00 BST (UK) »
We didn't know quite whee to look and it was torrential rain so we didn't go far from the car.
Ringrose