Author Topic: 1901 Botteslow Farm and cottage  (Read 1487 times)

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1901 Botteslow Farm and cottage
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 25 June 23 18:43 BST (UK) »
https://i2-prod.stokesentinel.co.uk/incoming/article5308209.ece/ALTERNATES/s1227b/0_SWB_STO_160421MOR_008JPG.jpg

The only bit I've found of Botteslow street. When carried on walking to the bottom,crossed the road,you wern't far off the farm.
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 25 June 23 20:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Welly- yes all those memories ring so true with me too- I was born in 1955 and as a young child, Mum and Dad used to take us to visit family in Tunstall and Hanley- we lived on the south coast- and the toilets at the bottom of the back yard, oatcakes, stout- and all such lovely folks. They had a really tough life- I know my mother always counted herself so lucky to have escaped the smoke and the grime when she married dad and moved to Dorset with his work- but she always asked for oatcakes - and loved them with cheese and  bacon too! Well it is quite likely that my great grandparents and my Nanna visited your family shop in Botteslow Street- and interesting to know that Botteslow Farm was not so far beyond the end of Botteslow Street- that would make sense. Thank you so much for all your help.
Caroline
Roots/Day/Atkins - (Essex/Suffolk/ London)Bourne/Milner/Corden-(Staffs/Shrops/Cheshire)
Wood/Gibbs/Battrick/Fall/Budden-(Dorset)

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 25 June 23 20:59 BST (UK) »
https://mapio.net/images-p/77362160.jpg

Botteslow street..At the bottom beyond the hedges would have been the farm.There's still quite a bit of greenery..You've probably seen this on your travels :)
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1901 Botteslow Farm and cottage COMPLETED
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 25 June 23 21:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the wonderful picture! That now completes my research and I will be taking the car down to have a look myself in the next couple of weeks xxxxxx Once again - thank you all so very much.
Caroline
Roots/Day/Atkins - (Essex/Suffolk/ London)Bourne/Milner/Corden-(Staffs/Shrops/Cheshire)
Wood/Gibbs/Battrick/Fall/Budden-(Dorset)

Offline John Sheldon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 02 July 23 10:39 BST (UK) »
If you haven't visited yet the following might help. The south end of Botteslow Street meets Leek Road where if you turn right for 50 yards you will see Trentmill Road on the opposite side. The name gives a clue to it's past, as at the bottom of the road was on old flint mill (now demolished) powered by the River Trent. The river here is more of a stream than a river. At the bottom of Trentmill Road there is an unmade track which goes over the river bridge, then under the railway bridge, before climbing a hill. The land on the left was part of the farm, and at the top of the track there is a T junction and the farmhouse entrance was located to the left. I believe that the farm originally formed part of the Berryhill Colliery estate prior to nationalisation in 1947. The colliery closed in 1962 and the site is now an industrial estate. I guess that the farmhouse was demolished in the 1970's when it was occupied by 2 unmarried brothers whose surname was Shufflebottom.

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 02 July 23 11:24 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat John...Are you from that neck of the woods?

Offline John Sheldon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 04 July 23 09:11 BST (UK) »
I don't know if you are familiar with the oldmaps online website but if you access the site and enter Bucknall, Stoke-on-Trent you will see a current map of the area and a choice of ordnance survey maps. The 1898 map shows both the flint mill and Botteslow Farm.

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 04 July 23 15:23 BST (UK) »
I don't think I know it.

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 04 July 23 15:32 BST (UK) »
I've tried but I can't fathom it!