Author Topic: Thakeham Richardson John  (Read 2539 times)

Offline astrec

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thakeham Richardson John
« on: Tuesday 01 May 12 09:46 BST (UK) »
I have a record of a John Richardson baptised at St. Mary's Thakeham in 1627 but have no record of any siblings. Can anyone help?

Offline Richard Harding

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Thakeham Richardson John
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 December 15 14:17 GMT (UK) »
My Great Grandparents, Harry Richardson and Mary Holden were married in Thakeham in 1889. I have a record of my Richardson line going back to Edward Richardson born in 1773. The family appear to have been settled in the Thakeham area.

If you have any other info about the Richardson family I would be very interested to hear from you.

Regards.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 December 15 08:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome,
Astrec has been online recently but seems to have missed your post.   If you reply to this by clicking the Reply button then you will be able to send a personal message to alert him/her to your interest.  You click on the letter scroll under the user name.
I can't see a baptism for Edward Richardson c1773 in Thakeham but there are lots of other children baptised around that time to Edward and Mary Richardson.
Edward Richardson bachelor of Climping 1 year age 23 cordwainer married Mary Hoad spinster of Thakeham 1 yr age 19 with consent of father Jo Hoad bricklayer by licence dated 12 Feb 1765.  The marriage was the same day and father is shown as Jn H.    Witnesses were Chas R and My R.
That couple seem to have had two earlier children in Climping but again, no Edward.
At the moment the only Edward I can see in 1773 is a baseborn son of Sarah Richardson baptised in Washington on Oct 19th 1773.   How do you know his year of birth?

Offline Richard Harding

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 December 15 12:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

The record source I have for Edward Richardson is an old family record handed down the generations.
It states that Edward Richardson was born on 18th June 1773. I haven't as yet been able to search relevant Parish Records to verify this information.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 December 15 13:41 GMT (UK) »
If you join the Sussex Family History Group they have online records for members which might make your search easier.  Not all places are fully covered but it gives a good start.

Offline astrec

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 30 December 15 21:46 GMT (UK) »
I have also looked through Thakeham records and can't find a record of your Edward Richardson in the Thakeham Registers. I have traced my Richardson line back to a Richard Richardson baptised on 14/06/1664.
Astrec

Offline Richard Harding

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 31 December 15 14:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your info. The family were definitely in that area, but not necessarily in Thakeham Parish.I will search other registers.

Offline swebby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 01 January 16 17:16 GMT (UK) »
Richard,

There is a burial for Edward Richardson in Washington aged 82 11 Mar 1855 which would fit in with being born in 1773. Could be that he is the baseborn son of Sarah Richardson as said in a previous post.

There is a bastardy bond record for Sarah Richardson Singlewoman of Wiston with two bastard offspring one born around July 1773, the other born 1770 with the putative father Edward Hards living in Washington.
http://www.sussexrecordsociety.org/dbs/pl/getrecord/19330/

Looks good to be your chap I think, birth date is about right, putative fathers name is Edward.

There is a burial for a Sarah Richardson aged 89 on 27 Aug 1835 If this is the right one then she was born about 1746.

Lots of info to check up on though.

Sean
Webb (Sussex), Barham (Sussex, Norfolk/Suffolk), Day (Somerset), Rowett(Somerset, Cornwall), White (Leighlinbridge), Deane (Roscommon), Quinn (Roscommon)

Offline Richard Harding

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 02 January 16 17:48 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for the information.

Plenty here to be followed up.