Author Topic: McGregor/Grassick in Tomintoul  (Read 11027 times)

Offline heedrapper

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McGregor/Grassick in Tomintoul
« on: Tuesday 01 May 12 10:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Rootschatters,

I have been researching Alexander McGregor Rose b 17th August 1846, at Kirkmichael, Banffshire.  He was raised by his maternal step-grandfather, viz: Alexander McGregor (described as otherwise childless). His parents were George Rose (appears as Ross is some searches) Tailor in Tomintoul, and Ann Innes.
Ann Innes is described on her death certificate (dated 15 March 1870) as,
“Ann Innes (illegitimate), widow of George Rose, Tailor. Female aged 46. Parents: William Innes, farmer and Margaret McGregor maiden surname Grassick.”
Any help or information on the step-grandfather, or the parents of Margaret Grassick, would be appreciated.
Thank you.
SCOTLAND:
Rose of Kilravock,
Roses in Peebles-shire,
Roses in Aberdeenshire

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McGregor/Grassick in Tomintoul
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 May 12 12:05 BST (UK) »
Do you have them in the 1861 Census
Alexander Mcgregor age 58 born 1803 occupation ( flesher )
Margaret Mcgregorborn 1799  their Grandson is with them all living Main Street Kirkmichael Banff

Offline heedrapper

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 May 12 12:18 BST (UK) »
I did see that, Rosie, thank you, and did consider it, but the child's surname should be listed as Rose.
It is still a possible however, although young Alexander never dropped his surname, he was known as Greeg locally. This taken from a biography of him by Robert Dey M.A..............
The young Grigorach (shortly, Greeg), as Rose was familiarly called, soon became a local celebrity. He early developed certain well-marked traits. Some of these were his love of reading, as we have already mentioned, his great fondness for dogs, his love of sport, his quickness in repartee, and his great ability in composing smart rhyming couplets.
SCOTLAND:
Rose of Kilravock,
Roses in Peebles-shire,
Roses in Aberdeenshire

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 May 12 15:13 BST (UK) »
Is this the family you are discussing, but in 1851?:

Alex Mcgregor 49, Farmer Of 5 Acres Crofter b. Kirkmichael, Banffshire
Margt Mcgregor 51 b. Kirkmichael, Banffshire
Alex Ross 5, nephew b. Kirkmichael, Banffshire

Address: Main Street, Somentone

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 May 12 15:31 BST (UK) »
Saw this http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=wdgrassick&id=I12566  Think some of the detail may be wrong (name of first husband?) but perhaps some dates and details of parents that may help.

Monica

Added: Actually, Ann Innes was illegitimate so Margaret Grassick and William Innes never married? So, possible husband's name of Alexander Blair, given for her above on the link, might be correct? Questions, questions... ;)

Offline heedrapper

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 May 12 18:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica,
You are correct, this one does throw up many questions, but I know you like a challenge, having kindly helped me a few times before. Thank you for that, but, again the relationship is wrong, it should be ‘grandson’.
I am inclined to think both census are the correct family (but with errors, as previously raised).
I see it as..... Born Margaret Grassick, had an illegitimate daughter Ann to William Innes, then married Alexander McGregor (otherwise childless), daughter Ann keeps the Innes name. I will check out the details in your link for accuracy which would mean that besides an illegitimate daughter, she also married twice. :-[
If this is correct, then maybe I should have named the thread Innes/Grassick, but it would also be good to get some background on ‘Auld Alex’ as well.
Just for every ones’ information young Alexander (grandson), grew up the be Minister in Orkney, and a reasonable poet, became bankrupt, left his wife and two children, in Aberdeen (with support) emigrated across the Atlantic, to become a journalist. A biography by Robert Dey M.A. says this of him.......
Disgusted with the change in his circumstances, and wishing, as far as possible, to forget the past, and that he should be forgotten, he added the name of Gordon to his own patronymic, so that his future career, he was known by the name of A. Macgregor Rose Gordon. Writing to a friend on 17th June, 1887, from San Francisco, with reference to this, he says: "I made a slight change in my name when I took to journalism and gave up the ministry'. I was ashamed of the change at the time (change of profession I mean), and I could not hear that my name should appear in it. I was in the depths besides, and hoped that nobody would ever hear from or of me again. I feel very different now, but the thing is done and cannot be undone.
Why did he pick 'Gordon'?.... Questions, questions, right enough.....
SCOTLAND:
Rose of Kilravock,
Roses in Peebles-shire,
Roses in Aberdeenshire

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 02 May 12 19:16 BST (UK) »
I wouldn't worry to much about the 'nephew' tag for Alexander in 1851 - this does happen. I know we want to have perfect relationships for the household but I have seen the 'nephew' for 'grandson' before. You have the confusion generally whereby you have Alexander as McGregor and grandson in 1861 also...one of those things unfortunately.

Regarding a possible first marriage for Margaret Grassick to an Alexander Blair, the info has to have come from somewhere! I can't easily see so far 1841 census entries which would help. Maybe the death cert for Margaret, as widow of Alexander McGregor, in 1879 might show details of a first marriage?

Guess this is all part of your Ross family research..... ::) ;)

Offline heedrapper

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 02 May 12 19:33 BST (UK) »
Monica,
Margaret Grassick died 9th December 1879, aged 84, confirmed as widow of Alexander McGregor (Butcher). Parents: Donald Grassick farmer (deceased) and Anne Forbes (deceased). No mention of first husband.
SCOTLAND:
Rose of Kilravock,
Roses in Peebles-shire,
Roses in Aberdeenshire

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 02 May 12 19:49 BST (UK) »
That all sort of fits with what is on that RootsWeb link, except for no mention of first husband and a few days out on Margaret's death.

You could try contacting the person who posted (their email is on the link (scrambled) - may not be live though if changes have been made).

Hard to say really whether a first marriage for Margaret may be a red herring isn't it  :-\ Records seem poor for her in this period.

Monica