Author Topic: John MOREY, born 1834 Hampshire  (Read 1593 times)

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
John MOREY, born 1834 Hampshire
« on: Wednesday 02 May 12 11:50 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I wonder if anyone can possibly help me.

John MOREY born 05/01/1834 in Warblington, Havant, Hampshire, "emigrated" to Port Elizabeth, Cape Colony, on 17/01/1849 with the help of the Philanthropic Institute (now the Royal Philanthropic Society).   Name of the ship unknown.   Sadly, I have not been able to retrieve any information after this latter date, although I have a reasonable Biography for him beforehand.

Thank you in advance

BAC3

Offline sandyc2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John MOREY, born 1834 Hampshire
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 May 12 16:10 BST (UK) »
I cannot find any trace of him in Port Elizabeth - do you know if he was sent out on his own to PE or was he perhaps part of a group of boys, or perhaps with a member of the Society?   Do you know what his occupation could have been when he was older?   I also checked later PE directories but still no trace.   

Regards
Sandy

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 May 12 19:51 BST (UK) »
Hello Sandy,

I am very grateful for your response.

Sadly I have no information about his migration to SA, although I have searched quite extensively including the SA Passenger listings, such as:

http://sa-passenger-list.za.net/index.php

He would almost certainly have been classed "unskilled labour", although he could read and write well which would have been a distinct advantage.    I believe his migration would have been unaccompanied.

I have searched through all the later England Census returns from 1851 onwards but there is no record of him.   Of course there were frequent sailings to Australia passing the Cape and I suppose there is every possibility he could have taken such a passage though, again, no mention of him in Australia.

A mystery I'm afraid.

For now,

Tony

Offline sandyc2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 May 12 17:10 BST (UK) »
Baptisms solemnized in the Parish of St Paul's, Port Elizabeth:
No. 76:  June 14, 1857, John Ralph, born 4 April 1857, parents John & Jane Morey, abode Everett Street [Port Elizabeth], a mason, Witnesses: Daniel Ralph & Jane Morey

Baptisms solemnized in the Parish of St Paul's, Port Elizabeth:
No. 154: 8 January, 1860, Mary Eliza Henley, born 9 January 1859, Parents John & Jane Morey, abode Port Elizabeth, a mason  [no witnesses for any of the four entries on that page].

This must surely be your John?
Am still searching
Sandy

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 07 May 12 20:08 BST (UK) »
Hello Sandy,

A definite step forward indeed........my thanks for your tenacity!!

The information certainly indicates there was a marriage, details of which would be marvellous to find (if only to confirm ages) and then add either more children or even the final death/burial items.   I wonder who the Daniel RALPH is?   Jane's brother?

I only wish I coud repay your help.

For the moment,

Tony

Offline sandyc2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 May 12 17:20 BST (UK) »
I went back to the directories looking for Daniel Ralph and could not find him either.  Maybe John Morey was employed as a mason in the district of PE and beyond - which may be why he is not in the PE directories and also the reason why they waited a year before baptizing their daughter? 

Regards
Sandy

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 09 May 12 13:53 BST (UK) »
Hello Sandy,

Sorry to bother you.

I wonder if you could you confirm for citation purposes the actual source document from which you unearthed the baptism information.

For now,

Tony

Offline sandyc2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 09 May 12 17:26 BST (UK) »
They are from photostated copies of the actual church registers, presumably from the church itself or from the Diocese Office in Port Elizabeth.

Regards
Sandy