Author Topic: Rev KennethElder Taylor  (Read 5540 times)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rev KennethElder Taylor
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 03 May 12 15:10 BST (UK) »
On the same site karenlee pointed out the photo St. Thomas Times Journal...there is another under a death notice/ obit area page 10 column 2 on Oct 1 1952 ...if his death it doesn't state this
http://www.elginogs.ca/Home/ancestor-indexes/newspapers/st-thomas-newspapers/1952-sep-oct
Wrongo...here is another photo in Oct. 20 1953 same section http://www.elginogs.ca/Home/ancestor-indexes/newspapers/st-thomas-newspapers/sttj-1953-sept-oct
Reference to the daughter at Alma college
http://www.elginogs.ca/Home/ancestor-indexes/newspapers/st-thomas-newspapers/sttj-1944-apr-jun

Here is the fees page should you or anyone looking in want a copy http://www.elginogs.ca/Home/ancestor-indexes/newspapers
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 03 May 12 21:02 BST (UK) »
Hi,

If you look up Kenneth Elder Taylor in the Google news archives, it shows an article in the New York Times, April 24 1955 announcing the engagement of their...   to see more, you would have to pay 3.95!!!   Most likely, it would be their daughter, if they are making the announcement. 

Interestingly, the bit that I can see for free says that Mr and Mrs Kenneth Elder Taylor live in Goderich (not too far from St. Thomas or London), and that they were formerly in Vancouver BC.

I am going to Kingston next week.  I could find out Kenneth and Elspeth's death dates for you - either by looking at the transcripts in the library or popping by the cemetery. 

RK :)

Offline suemccall

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 03 May 12 21:04 BST (UK) »
That would be wonderful.  Thank you so much!
Shortt, Antisell, Owen, Smith and Bagnall Families of Ireland
Edols, Lees/Lee of Liverpool, Lancashire, Ross of Renfrewshire, Bryce of Renfrewshire, Family of Hew Craig and Margaret Dumas, Gibraltar.  Dumas family of Killarney, Kerry, Ireland.

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 10 May 12 21:39 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Kenneth Elder Taylor died Aug 6 1979.  Elspeth Shortt Taylor died March 24 1977.   I got the death dates from the records office at the Cataraqui Cemetery.   The tombstone only has years on it - not specific dates.   

The stone is extremely hard to read as it is covered in lichen etc.  This is what it says (my version agrees with the transcript at the Kingston Library):

Jeremy Taylor
1856-1916
Mary Elder his wife
1861-1935
1891 - Edythe Geraldine - 1906
daughter of Jeremy and Mary Taylor
Rev. Canon Kenneth E. Taylor
1895-1979
Elspeth Shortt his wife
1900-1977

TAYLOR (on the bottom of the stone)

The location of the stone was mentioned by J. J.  It is in section D3, Row 5, Grave number 232.  This is the OLD section D...  there is a new section D that is at the other end of the cemetery. 

The other Taylors that J. J. found in the same section are transcribed as
Henry Taylor 1883
Ann, his wife 1881
Frances their daughter (no dates)

They are in section D2, Row 9, Grave number 176. 

I checked the Kingston Whig Standard for an obit for Kenneth, but there wasn't one.  I looked in the Aug 7 - 11th papers.   Perhaps you can ask the library in London or St. Thomas Ontario to check for obituaries - now that you know death dates.

PS - According to the cemetery records, Elspeth was buried as Frances Elspeth - though the tombstone says Elspeth.

RK :)   

Offline suemccall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 10 May 12 22:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for your kindness in researching this information for me.  My words can't possibly convey how grateful I am. 

Kindest regards.
Shortt, Antisell, Owen, Smith and Bagnall Families of Ireland
Edols, Lees/Lee of Liverpool, Lancashire, Ross of Renfrewshire, Bryce of Renfrewshire, Family of Hew Craig and Margaret Dumas, Gibraltar.  Dumas family of Killarney, Kerry, Ireland.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 11 May 12 00:51 BST (UK) »
So nice of you, R.K.... to go the extra mile...literally! for suemccall  :) J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 11 May 12 03:21 BST (UK) »
My pleasure :) :)

Kenneth is buried quite close to Sir John A MacDonald's grave (for those who may not know, he was Canada's first Prime Minister).   It was nice to see that again.   

RK   

Offline Rosalie Ryan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 21 July 12 23:25 BST (UK) »
Hello to Sue and all

Googling again in the attempt to connect the dots lead me to this thread.

Jeremy Taylor (father of the Rev K E Taylor) was actually christened Jeremiah Taylor born in Ontario 1857.  His father James Barton Taylor was a Lt Col in the Army and is part of Canadian Military History.
James Barton Taylor was born in Belfast and his siblings in England, his father was Jeremiah Taylor, Lt Col in the Army as well. 

Jeremiah snr lived most of his years in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire.

It appears the families moved around a lot due to military postings. 
The family marriages were well connected prior to 1850s.

I have posts on Rootschat for Taylors of Fladbury back in 2010.

Sue pls ctc me for more details.

Once again Rootschat has been a success.

R
Currently researching:
BARKER, TODD, TAYLOR Merchants of Oldham and Culcheth
MAYER Yeoman of Gatley Cheshire
TODD family of Penrith Cumbria

Offline kendon1975

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 21 October 13 19:32 BST (UK) »
Hi.  I'M Kenneth Taylor the younger son of the Rev. Kenneth Elder Taylor. I notice that a number of you have been searching for infomation about my father and I'd like to join your chat if you would be kind enough to let me know how you are connected to the family and what has sparked your interest.  Looking forward to hearing from all interested parties especially Sue.  Bye for now. KT.