Author Topic: Looking for the Birth of James MARKIE before 1742  (Read 1566 times)

Offline drewsankie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My 6 X Gt Uncle James Brindley
    • View Profile
Looking for the Birth of James MARKIE before 1742
« on: Thursday 19 May 05 19:51 BST (UK) »
OK this is a long shot.
and i have done postings on this person before trying to find help on this, without much luck.
Now i am broadening my search.

I am desperately trying to find James Markie who was married 11th Oct 1760 in St Seplechre Church, Northampton to Susanna Adams of Nether Heyford Northants.
There children as follows
Susanna Markie b 1761 Nether Boddington, Northants
Thomas Markie b 1762     "            "                 "
Sarah Markie b 1764        "            "                 "
John Markie b 1765          "            "                 "
John Markie b 1768          "            "                 "
Only Susanna and Thomas survived.
Witness to the marriage mentions John Markie

James is mentioned in the 1762 Militia Lists. so he must be under the age of 40. (so i am told)
He borrowed £50 from a Miss Alice Smith of Cleydon, Oxon in 1768 only to repay her back in 1769 then called Alice Sabin.

After this i have lost him !
Thomas was married in 1787 in Flore, Northants. and they may of lived in Great Brington for a while. Thomas died at the grand age of 86 in 1848 Northampton.

So i still need to find James`s birth. i reckon between 1722 to 1742 and i have not found his death yet either.
I have a feeling he is not born in the county of Northants.

There is also a John Markie who Married in 1780 in St Seplechre church, Northampton to Martha Witsey (Nee Ekins)
Martha and John were landlords of the pub In Pitsford northants and he died in 1783, this was marthas 2nd marriage and John was a batchelor.
I am sure he is James`s Brother. yet again cannot find his birth. Could be the john as the witness to James.

The name can change from Markie / Markey / Markee / Mackie / Marke / Marky / Murckie and we go on !

If anyone does find me a match or something to go on please let me know. as 10 years on one spot is too long ! and i want to get further !

HELP !
Ian Markie
Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk<br /><br />GENEALOGISTS DON`T DIE THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS !<br /><br />Markie, Northants, London, Scotland, New Zealand<br />Gibson,Gt Doddington, Denton Northants<br />Allen, Northampton<br />Ashley,Kettering Burton Latimer, Kings Cliffe, Australia <br />Stubbs. Northants, Staffs<br />Greenough, Northampton<br />Lewin, Brownsell, Bucks.<br />Whitehead, London, Scotland.<br />Thompson, Mears Ashby Northants/ Tiney, Woodford

Offline annaandchester

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: looking for the Birth of James Markie before 1742
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 February 06 13:29 GMT (UK) »
This would be a case for parish records as it is before registration in 1837

Anna x
McLeods - Hartlepool, Liverpool, Inverness(?)<br />Simpsons - Carlisle, Westmorland<br />Harris - Carlisle, Kent<br />Reads - Birmingham and Staffordshire<br />Allens - Marylebone London<br />Zych - Poland
Holmes - Bawdsey, Suffolk
Perks - Hampshire
McQueen - Carlisle
Carrick - Carlisle
Haugh - Carlisle
Irving - Irving
Collett - Bredon, Worcester
Harrison - Carlisle
Knight - Carlisle
Thompson - Carlisle
Johnstone - Carlisle
Rogerson - Dumfries and Carlisle
Wood - Ontario

Offline drewsankie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 February 06 13:52 GMT (UK) »
Thats the problem ! I have gone through so many parish records, His death must be in the Northants area.
His birth well, coud be anywhere, as i really have no clues to go on.
I am trying to see if there are now links with the Markey familys in Wilts/Somerset area. And picking up familys from the census are trying to work back to see if there could be any candidates !
So if there is anyone who is doing the Markey of that area i would love the hear from them.
Ian Markie
Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk<br /><br />GENEALOGISTS DON`T DIE THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS !<br /><br />Markie, Northants, London, Scotland, New Zealand<br />Gibson,Gt Doddington, Denton Northants<br />Allen, Northampton<br />Ashley,Kettering Burton Latimer, Kings Cliffe, Australia <br />Stubbs. Northants, Staffs<br />Greenough, Northampton<br />Lewin, Brownsell, Bucks.<br />Whitehead, London, Scotland.<br />Thompson, Mears Ashby Northants/ Tiney, Woodford

Offline drewsankie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 March 07 15:24 GMT (UK) »
HELP !
Could someone please say that i could be heading in the right direction on this !

As i keep looking and looking at this.

As i dont know ages but this is what evidence i have so far
James Markie was on the 1762 Milita lists which means he must be under 45 and have no more then two children and in 1762 he had just 2. and was married in 1760.
John Markie is not mentioned in the 1762 militia lists and he was married in 1780 and died in 1783 he married the widow Martha Witsey.
which means he must be over 45 ! in 1762

On the IGI there are James Marky C 16th July 1721 Taynton, Glos son of James Marky and Mary, so from this date he would be under 45 !

John Markie C 4th Nov 1718 Taynton, Glos son of James Marky and Mary
which is just about 45 !
I kept thinking as James was married in 1760 he would be 21 when he married but of course this may not be true and could of been 39 ! if i go by this date

Please i need your input on this theroy to either say yes it could well be or somehow to completely destory my theory, as this is the only way forward at the moment. so any help at all please

Regards Ian Markie

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 02 March 07 16:05 GMT (UK) »
You mention 'Mackie', a Scots surname.  Pronounced as it should be then it might well be taken as Markie! So, looking on Scotlandspeople during the timeframe you suggest there are 59 James Mackie births recorded in the Scottish parish registers (OPRs).  Bear in mind that these are only the registers of the Established Church so no non-conformist events are included.  Clutching at straws perhaps, but ...
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline drewsankie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 02 March 07 16:11 GMT (UK) »
Right yes, i keep saying it should really jump to scotland, so perhaps then i need to look at  the 59 James Mackies just to see where it leads me, to either prove or disprove them,

Ian