Author Topic: Ratten Row, Dearham, Cumberland  (Read 20265 times)

Offline hiyamarra

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Ratten Row, Dearham, Cumberland
« Reply #18 on: Monday 07 May 12 03:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that, while youre there have a look at the 1865 OS map you'll get a better idea
I'm actually in Asia on holiday so can't do anything until I get back
Keenan, McKenzie, Knowles, Berry, Gregg, Hutchinson, Allan, Strickland.

Offline clearly

• RootsChat Senior
  • If we understand the past we understand the future
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 07 May 12 10:10 BST (UK) »
This is the 25inch 1865 map and this is the area I will concentrate on
Forster Cul, Harrison Cul, Wood Cul Yks, Castley Cul & Wes, Lorimer Cul and Perth,Innis Cul, Casson, Cul, Johnston,Cul & Nfk, Carruthers Cul, Ewart Cul, Jardine Cul & Dmf, Story Cul, ONeill Cul & NI, Davis Cul & Ldn,

Offline hiyamarra

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 07 May 12 10:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that I really appreciate it. I don't know what year the next edition of the OS map came out but it may be worth looking
It's interesting that there are several Ratten Rows around the country, were they all travellers camps ?

Offline clearly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 07 May 12 10:30 BST (UK) »
There was meant to be a copy of the map in last post but there were too many pixels. This one should work
Forster Cul, Harrison Cul, Wood Cul Yks, Castley Cul & Wes, Lorimer Cul and Perth,Innis Cul, Casson, Cul, Johnston,Cul & Nfk, Carruthers Cul, Ewart Cul, Jardine Cul & Dmf, Story Cul, ONeill Cul & NI, Davis Cul & Ldn,

Offline hiyamarra

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 07 May 12 10:35 BST (UK) »

I just found this reference to Tudor village Co Durham

There were some interesting field names in 1839. In particular, one plot lying on the east side of the village was called Ratten Row: one meaning of this is a roundabout way used to carry corpses for burial. There was (and is) a footpath towards Hett along the northern edge of Ratten Row, leading to (and between) Litch Close and Litch Field: litch is an Anglo-Saxon word for corpse (which survives in lych-gate, a covered gate into a churchyard where the bearers would wait before proceeding to the grave-side). The name Ratten Rawe was in use in Tudhoe at least as early as 1570. This suggests either that the villagers used a church other than Brancepeth or Whitworth in mediaeval times, or perhaps that there were burial grounds close to the village

Offline hiyamarra

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 07 May 12 10:36 BST (UK) »
Sorry should read Trudhoe

Offline clearly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 07 May 12 11:10 BST (UK) »
It must have been fairly common usage at one time. Personally I know of four in Cumbria, including the one at Dearham.  There was one near Ulverston where there was an iron ore mine; one between Durdar and Dalston near Carlisle and one about half a mile west of Caldbeck.

Offline clearly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 07 May 12 11:18 BST (UK) »
Ratten Row doesn't show up in the 1899 25 inch map either.  I will be looking at the OS surveyor's "walking book" in which they recorded such things as place names, monuments etc.  I have been told that they have been placed in the Archive Centre in Carlisle.  Don't know whether they are the originals or copies..

Offline hiyamarra

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 07 May 12 11:28 BST (UK) »
Yes, I think there are many Ratten Rows and variations on that, but it's only the Dearham one that reallt interests me. Exactly where was it and what is the history of it and it's residents