Author Topic: Ratten Row, Dearham, Cumberland  (Read 20264 times)

Offline clearly

• RootsChat Senior
  • If we understand the past we understand the future
    • View Profile
Re: Ratten Row, Dearham, Cumberland
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 08 May 12 22:30 BST (UK) »
Hi
I was misinformed about the OS walking books/. It was mentioned at a Victoria County History Volunteers meetings that these were in Carlisle Archives.  What they actually have are several volumes that merely list plot and field numbers, together with acreages.  Unfortunately there are no place names.  The walking books, I am told by Carlisle Archives are at TNA Kew.  If Ratten Row still extisted in 1910-11, it would have been included in Lloyd-George's "Domesday Book"--The National Land Valuation and Survey.  Every Property in England was visited and a four page report prepared describing the property, what it was used for, use of rooms etc. There was often a plan.
If you go to London, The National Archives may be the answer.
I went through the Senhouse paper at Carlisle but could find no clues for Ratten Row.
Forster Cul, Harrison Cul, Wood Cul Yks, Castley Cul & Wes, Lorimer Cul and Perth,Innis Cul, Casson, Cul, Johnston,Cul & Nfk, Carruthers Cul, Ewart Cul, Jardine Cul & Dmf, Story Cul, ONeill Cul & NI, Davis Cul & Ldn,

Offline hiyamarra

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 09 May 12 06:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help. Although we don't have anything yet I have a feeling this will be resolved
I have a couple of ideas but unfortunately at the moment I'm beach combing with my wife in Asia
When I get back I'll stay in touch
Thanks again
Keenan, McKenzie, Knowles, Berry, Gregg, Hutchinson, Allan, Strickland.

Offline Connie from OZ

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 15 June 12 08:10 BST (UK) »
I am researching the family of Richard and Eleanor Proud who appear in censuses as living in Ratten Row , Dearham. I also would dearly like to know more about this address. My great-great-grandparents  Faulder and Nancy Proud migrated to Gympie in Qld, Australia in the 1860's with their entire large family.
I have visited modern-day Dearham and love the old Anglican Church but would love to know more about it. the Prouds appear on all the censuses back to 1841 but I don't know much about what it was like then. They were miners and were also said to have been potters. Before that I think they would have been poor farmers. 
Connie from Oz         

Offline hiyamarra

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 15 June 12 12:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Connie
Well, there is no doubt that our ancestors would have known each other as I have several families living there between 1851 and 1881 census's. Members of my family were also listed as miners and potters. I don't have clear proof of exactly where Ratten Row was, I have seen several period maps including the first ordinance survey map of 1865 and nothing is shown. I have my on theory which is highly likely but as a stickler for historical proof I will never be sure until I have real evidence. If you send me a private message with your e-mail I will share my theory with you.
On the 1851 census 18 properties are listed under Ratten Row, 1861 lists 17, 1871 lists 16. If you follow the sequence enumerated you will see next to Ratten Row is always listed Outgang, Baustead Buildings, Pit yard etc.
This gives clear clues that it was very close to the Pit head of the Lonsdale pit, probably where your ancestors and mine worked. A short walk perhaps 1/4 mile west was the Jubilee pottery again where our ancestors worked
Another family of my ancestors bought this pottery and hawked it around local villages towards Cockermouth, where eventually they became established as high class china merchants owning several shops

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 15 June 12 14:53 BST (UK) »
Connie won't be able to use the PM system until she has made another post or two.  :)
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline hiyamarra

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 15 June 12 15:31 BST (UK) »
Sorry Connie I didnt notice it was your first post
Send me a couple of messages here then you can PM me after you have 3 posts

Offline Connie from OZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 18 June 12 04:27 BST (UK) »
I don't quite understand your message. Keen to find out more about Ratten Row. Who are you and how connected to Ratten Row?
Cheers, Connie from Oz

Offline Connie from OZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 18 June 12 04:37 BST (UK) »
I have a very old jug made of green and brown pottery with a raised oak design. It is said to have been brought from England by my great-great grandmother [Nancy Proud, nee Muckleroy]. It is thick pottery with a shiny glaze Would this be from Dearham? I would love to know more about it. My grandmother just told me that it was very old and she didn't know any more about it. Cheers Connie

Offline Connie from OZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 18 June 12 04:41 BST (UK) »
I believe I have 2 more replies but can't see them. Will reply if I get them.  Please be patient, Love Connie Will try to do a photo ASAP but not very computer savvy