Author Topic: Abraham Family Eaton Bray  (Read 24803 times)

Offline janetandroy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Abraham Family Eaton Bray
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 05 May 12 15:09 BST (UK) »
Hmmm - I can see where these accents can cause a problem.  I am going to re-register with one of the ancestry websites when I come back from holiday (don't have enough time to get stuck into it before).  I can't remember now which census I saw him give his birthplace as Lincolnshire and have to say I was foxed by the fact that I wasn't able to locate him living anywhere other than Eaton Bray - I wasn't able to locate a George Abraham in Colmworth, although there were many other Abrahams, and a Jemima.  This was really why we wanted to have a trip to Beds to see if we could make any sense out of it all.  From Sheffield Beds isn't really too much of a distance to travel, and in fact it is probably easier to get to than Lincolnshire - better roads!!  By the time I get back from holiday the marriage cert will have arrived so I may be a bit further forward then.  Thanks for the assistance, I appreciate it.

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 07 May 12 17:08 BST (UK) »
Janet, do you have the birth cert of any of George and Charlotte's children? I'm interested to see what name Charlotte was shown as. The only time she appears as Elizabeth was in the marriage entry.

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 07 May 12 21:25 BST (UK) »
Thomas Abrams married Esther Foster at Colmworth on 8 Apr 1844, fathers James Abrams and John Foster (IGI).

In 1841 in Colmworth:
Thomas Abraham 20 ag lab
Jemima Abraham 55
Anne Abraham 30;
Mary Abraham 25;
Deborah Abraham 7.
All ex Jemima born in Beds

So Thomas was apparently an unbaptised son of James and Jemima from Colmworth.

Esther Forster, daughter of John and Elizabeth, was baptised at Colmworth on 3 Apr 1825. Her brother John was baptised on 5 Aug 1821 at Colmworth. John Thomas Foster married Edith Wagstaff at Colmworth on 2 Jan 1845, and they baptised Ann on 29 Jan 1845.

In 1851 in Colmworth were:
Jemima Abrams head widow 76 b Roxton, Beds;
Ann Abrams dau unmarr 50 b Eaton, Beds;
Mary Abrams dau unm 47 b Colmworth;
Deborah Abrams grand dau 18 b Colmworth;
Mary Abrams gr dau 7 b Colmworth

Now I’ve finally got there!

In 1851
Bourne End, Spalding, Lincs
Thomas Foster head marr 29
Hebe Foster wife 27
Ann Foster 6
Elizabeth Foster 4

Next door
Thomas Abraha 30 ag lab
Esther Abraha wife 28
Catherine Abraha dau 5
Phebe Abraha dau 3
John Abraha son 1
Sarah Abraha niece unm 28

John b Pinchbeck Lincs; all the rest b Beds Coleworth

By 1861 Thomas Abraham and family had returned to Colmworth:
Thomas Abraham head marr 44 Ag lab
Esther Abraham wife 36
Catherine Abraham dau 15
Edy Abraham dau 13 b Pinchbeck, Lincs
Esther Abraham dau 8
Charlotte Abraham dau 6
James Abraham son 4
Jacob Abraham son 2
John Foster lodger widower 86 b Northants

All bar Edy and John Foster  b Beds Colmworth

So we have a proven link between Thomas and James & Jemima, and we know that in 1851 Thomas was living in Spalding, with children who were born in Pinchbeck, a mile or so from Gosberton where George was living. I reckon that George was the brother of Thomas who moved to Lincs c1849

David

Offline janetandroy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 08 May 12 15:11 BST (UK) »
This what I now have from census records.  in 1841 there was a george (documented as age 15) living at Starr Carr Haxey Lincs, with  a family and an assortment of other people round about the same age.  No George in Colmworth and no other one that looks likely other than the one who we now believe not to be the right one living in Eaton Bray.   No other Abraham family living at this address and George gives his birthplace as Lincolnshire.  In 1851 I have

George at Marsh Bank Gosberton, with
 Jemima and his wife
Charlotte. 

It gives his birthplace as Bedfordshire, and it does look like Colmworth.  Ironically, the Stanhopes have their daughter Charlotte and Jemima also listed at their address on the same census.  It is interesting that George has married someone who was born and raised in Lincolnshire.

In 1861, he is at Bk 36 Egerton Street, Ecclesall Brierlow Sheffield with
 Charlotte,
Jemima age 11 born Surfleet,
John Thomas (who is our direct relative) born c 1852 in Gosberton,
Mary F born c. 1835 in gosberton, and
Georgiana (which is actually meant to be Georgina), born c. 1858 in Gosberton.

John Thomas subsequently moved to another house in Egerton Street and we have a birth certificate for his son Arthur.  In this census his birthplace is given as Bedfordshire Cumbworth.

I have also found Jemima (with a strange spelling of the surname ) on the 1841 census in Colmworth, she presumably is the one whose husband was James who must have died.

Then in 1851 she is listed as a pauper widow (how sad) with a household of unmarried daughters who also have children.  They sound a rum lot, but we know quite a bit about the family later on in sheffield and they were a bit of a rum lot then!!  I can assure you we are very respectable these days!!

So I am now waiting on the marriage certificate for George and Charlotte (elizabeth) in the hope that this will give us the name of George's father.

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 08 May 12 16:46 BST (UK) »
Even without the marriage cert I'm pretty sure that George was the son of James and Jemima from Colmworth.

I can't get too hung up over the 1841 census. There were two George Abrahams in Lincs aged 15 ie 15-19, both said to be born in Lincs. The one you mention in Haxey, and the one I mentioned in reply #12 below, who lived in Weston, Lincs. Haxey is 65 miles from Gosberton where we know George was living in 1851, whereas Weston is 8 miles from Gosberton. I know which one of the two I think it more likely to be, but as I'd never be able to prove it, and as it adds nothing to where George was born, I'd leave it if it were mine. There was was a George Abraham age 27 buried at Haxey on 24 July 1852 who looks suspiciously like the 15 year old George in Haxey in 1841, so if either is your George it looks to be the Weston one.

As Charlotte and Jemima were staying with her father in 1851 it explains why both are enumerated as absent in Gosberton.

Not sure what you mean about Jemima on the 1841 census. Ancestry has transcribed the surname as Abraham and that's what it looks like to me. They've transcribed her christian name as Jemma though. But what's odd about this census are the ages of Jemima, Ann and Mary, all of which seem to be understated by 10 years. I have the CDrom set of the 1841 for Beds, which is much clearer than the Ancestry image, and it's as I transcribed it in my previous message.

I've added the Abraham family to my LUGSDIN/Lugsden tree on Ancestry, and am adding children of George's siblings at the moment. James and Jemima seem to have been pretty lax about baptising their children.

Offline janetandroy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 08 May 12 17:52 BST (UK) »
Given the further searching I have been doing I am inclined to agree that one of the Georges living in Lincolnshire is our one and in the great scheme of things it probably doesn't matter much which one given that he wasn't living with family (as we know of).  It certainly would appear that our George was born in Colmworth and for some reason went to live in Lincs (to work one assumes).  I have found a reference on the mormon site about a marriage between James Abraham and Jemima Chandler on 16th November 1795 in Keysoe Beds.  Only 4 miles from Colmworth.  ? could be my (assumine they are mine) James and Jemima.  I am forecasting a trip to Beds in the summer I think, once I have confirmation.

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Abraham Family Colmworth
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 08 May 12 19:43 BST (UK) »
I too had assumed that James and Jemima, parents of George, were James Abraham and Jemima Chandler. I hope you have more success in tracing them than I've had so far!

Offline janetandroy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 09 May 12 11:39 BST (UK) »
I am assuming that you have access to parish registers and have not got any useful information from the marriage of james and jemima?  Presuming that these are my James and Jemima I think we may still take the trip (it's not that far from Sheffield and it's a part of the country we have not visited before).  I think it would be interesting to see where our (presumed) ancestors came from.

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Abraham Family Colmworth
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 09 May 12 16:23 BST (UK) »
No, I haven't got Keysoe transcript, but I do have Colmworth where no banns were published. You need to check the microfilm of the parish register at your nearest LDS Family Historyn Centre to see what other detail is provided. The transcript won't include witnesses, which might be crucial.