Author Topic: Abraham Family Eaton Bray  (Read 24802 times)

Offline janetandroy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Abraham Family Eaton Bray
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 09 May 12 16:40 BST (UK) »
Having done a little more reading, it seems as though even the original parish register would not necessarily contain the names of the parents, which I would have expected.  I can get the keysoe transcripts on a cd for £20 but don't feel like spending this unless I know these names would be there.  Do you know whether it is possible to physically look at the original registers, I know that some areas keep them locally on microfiche but not sure about bedfordshire.  I presume the original registers are not kept within the church these days.  Although paying £20 for a cd is considerably cheaper than a trip to bedfordshire but not half so interesting!!  Still awaiting the marriage cert of george and charlotte (elizabeth) hoping for the parents names, although I am inclined to agree with you that james and jemima are  the most likely candidates.  I am very appreciative of the information you have given me, it has taken me several steps further on than I was a few weeks ago.

Offline janetandroy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 09 May 12 16:44 BST (UK) »
Actually having looked through my notes again, it was the LDS online facility where I got the information about the James and Jemima marriage.  There was no other information than their names and the date.  I guess then that they obtained that from the original document in which case possibly that's all there was.

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 10 May 12 00:44 BST (UK) »
No, the IGI is an index and only gives names, date and place - sometimes with post 1837 marriages it gives fathers' names too. To get all the other detail - parishes of residence, witnesses, marital status etc you need to check the parish register. For a marriage in 1795 there will be more detail, even though it won't contain the detail you expected - parents' names.

Fathers' names weren't given on marriages until 1837 when civil registration started. Mothers' names have never been given. In 1795 no parents' names will be shown, just the names of the witnesses. The transcript on CDrom won't give the names of the witnesses. Which is why I suggested you get the microfilm of the original parish register from your nearest LDS Family History Centre. All of Beds parish registers pre 1813 have been filmed by the LDS.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 10 May 12 06:39 BST (UK) »
I have the Keysoe PR transcript up to 1812. The CD from the Beds FHS willl contain this plus Baptisms up to 1851, Marriages up to 1837 & Burials up to 1851. 

Marriage of 16 Nov 1795 of James Abraham, widower of Gt Staughton to Jemima Chandler, spinster of Keysoe

Why were the banns published at Colmworth ? Suggests one of them was living there at the time.

A Jemima ABRAMS is buried Colmworth 8 Oct 1856 aged 84 - making her born around 1772; so is she the Jemima Chandler baptised in nearby Eynesbury, Hunts on 14 July 1774, daughter of James Chandler & Mary Camm, as per member submitted entry on the IGI? Although 1851 census has her born Roxton.
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 10 May 12 07:22 BST (UK) »
The only other Abrahams in Keysoe are a William & Susannah who baptised John 1797, Caroline 1800, twins Ann & Lydia in 1803. There are burials of infant John in 1800 & infant Lydia in 1803 and William Abraham labourer on 12 Feb 1811. There is well timed marriage of widow Sarah Abraham on 2 Apr 1812 to George Apthorp, widower - could this be a mistranscribed Susannah ?

John
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline janetandroy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 10 May 12 09:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all this extra information - we have a  LDS family centre not far from us so perhaps next step is to pay them a visit.  I had actually found a reference to a James Abraham born Gt Staughton plus a reference in the death register for Jemima in 1856.  Strangely enough I also found another marriage reference for a James Abraham and Jemima Chandler can't remember now the location and the date was 15th november.  It's all beginning to come together though.  If the James is the one born Gt Staughton that seems to be another link to follow.

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Abraham Family Colmworth
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 10 May 12 09:56 BST (UK) »

Why were the banns published at Colmworth ? Suggests one of them was living there at the time.

Sorry, perhaps I wasn't too explicit. There are no banns for the 1795 Keysoe marriage in Colmworth PR, suggesting that James wasn't from Colmworth, even though he appears to have moved there at some stage before 1801.

Thanks for those entries John, that's opened the door. Eynesbury is only a couple of miles from Roxton, so it looks very promising for Jemima.

The only marriage in Hunts of a James Abraham was in 1792 at Oldhurst, James of Wistow and Mary Carter. There's a burial of Mary Abraham at Warboys on 17 July 1793. Warboys is between Wistow and Old Hurst, so this looks to be the possible first marriage of James, although they're some distance from Gt Staughton. But Keysoe is only a couple of miles from Gt Staughton, and a similar distance from Colmworth. Being resident of Gt Staughton at the time of his marriage doesn't mean that James was born there.

David

Offline janetandroy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 10 May 12 10:07 BST (UK) »
Having taken another  look at the online familysearch.org there is a James Abraham who married a Jemima Chandler on 15 November 1795 in Great Staughton - could there be two sets of James and Jemima marrying each other within a day of each other in two different places?  My georgraphy of this area is not good so need to take a look at some maps to see the differences in distance between the various places

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Abraham Family Colmworth
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 10 May 12 10:53 BST (UK) »
could there be two sets of James and Jemima marrying each other within a day of each other in two different places? 

No! The Gt Staughton entry is likely to be the banns. I have seen a number of instances on the IGI where banns are shown as marriages.

If it were a marriage it would be included in Hunts Marriage Index. And it isn't.