Author Topic: George ROBERTSON and Rebecca GOLDFINCH  (Read 3490 times)

Offline Abygail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
George ROBERTSON and Rebecca GOLDFINCH
« on: Friday 04 May 12 13:57 BST (UK) »
I'm hoping there are people that are able to help me in regard to locating more information about George Robertson.   'My' George was the youngest son of Gilbert Robertson and Agnes Lee (who both died in Geelong 1851 & 1853).   George was born in Tasmania c 1833.  I have found a possible reference to him working as a stockman/drover when he broke his leg after a fall from his horse.   I think he was working with his nephews, Jim, Gilbert and Peter Murdoch who were all boss drovers working from Charters Towers, Prairie, Cloncurry area.   I have another reference to a George Robertson allegedly born in Tasmania, he died at Hillston NSW 7 Dec 1894 as a result of accidental strychnine poisoning at the Hillston Hospital and is buried in an unmarked grave there.
I have another reference where a George Robertson married Rebecca Goldfinch in 1878, their last child was born in 1894.    I haven't been able to locate a death record for George in Queensland that might match.
Are there descendants of Rebecca Goldfinch that are able to clarify either way as to the possible connection to my George Robertson?
Durham - HARDY Ann, Mary, CLARKE William, Elizabeth, DABRON Robert, Thomas, Rhoda >1853
Tyrone- SEETON George, John; COULTER Mary>1919
Clonmel Tipperary - KELLY Daniel b1812 wed in Aust.1849 
Cornwell - Newton on Abbot area SYMON(D)S - George Harvie wife BALSOM(E) Mary b1795
Headford Galway - Bridget KING famine orphan and Tuam Workhouse
  Abygail

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Robertson and Rebecca Goldfinch
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 May 12 14:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Abygail,

Would his nephew Gilbert be Gilbert Robertson Murdoch.

Regards
Gerry

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 May 12 14:40 BST (UK) »
1900 Queensland State Electoral Roll

Murdoch, James, 39, Prairie, Drover.
Murdoch, Peter, 30, Prairie, drover.

Both qualified to be on the electoral roll by residence on 17th September 1895.  (This would have been the reference year for their ages)

There a 2 George Robertsons, one is a Cook at Hughenden and the other a Hotel keeper in Hughenden.

There was an Intestacy file submitted to the Townsville Court 14th July 1894 for Gilbert Robertson Murdoch a drover of Prairie near Hughenden.  Mention is made of James Murdoch of Prairie, drover brother.

Regards
Gerry

Offline mum mum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Robert Warnock and Annie Balcombe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 May 12 22:55 BST (UK) »
Hi
Have you got either the marriage certificate for George and Rebecca, or one of the birth certificates for their children to know if this is your George or not.

Have you also tried to find out what happened to Rebecca Goldfinch/Robertson after the last childs birth. Any possible remarriage?
mum mum
Balcombe, Sussex. Warnes, Norfolk and Australia. Hansen, Denmark and Canada. Williams, Canada. Warnock, Forsythe, Joyce, Sayers, in Ireland.

Offline mum mum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Robert Warnock and Annie Balcombe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 04 May 12 23:15 BST (UK) »
Hi
I can't see an obvious marriage for Rebecca, do you know where she was born and who her parents were.
There is a death in 1897, age 58, born in Scotland, most likely not her, father is David Campbell.

Have you followed the children, there were 6 boys and 3 girls, as you probably know.
Joseph 1879, James 81, John 83, George 85, Archibald 87, Donald 89, Rebecca 92 and Isabella and Margaret in 94.
If that is George's death in 1894, could Joseph and James have supported her, if not she would have needed to remarry or give the children up.
mum mum
Balcombe, Sussex. Warnes, Norfolk and Australia. Hansen, Denmark and Canada. Williams, Canada. Warnock, Forsythe, Joyce, Sayers, in Ireland.

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 05 May 12 01:13 BST (UK) »
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Essie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 05 May 12 03:21 BST (UK) »
This page has more details and George ROBERTSON was not from TAS.
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=cbr&id=I4641

Essie

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 05 May 12 04:41 BST (UK) »

1900 Qld State Electoral Roll

3 x George Robertsons on the 1900 roll outside of Brisbane.

CLERMONT DIVISION
George Tough Robertson, 46, Black River Diggings, labourer. (Qualified by residence 2nd Aug 1898)

DISTRICT OF CROYDON
George William Robertson, 28, Golden Valley, miner. (Qualified by residence 1st April 1898)

HUGHENDEN DIVISION
George Robertson, 37, Hughenden, Cook. (Qualified by residence 1st Aug 1898)

Ages were at the qualification year

Gerry

Offline Abygail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 05 May 12 05:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Gerry,
I have the Murdoch tree and am trying to add some additional details to it regarding the families of those who married into it.
The direct male line is fine but other than the names of the wives they don't rate another mention and I would like to find out more about them all.
George's 2nd eldest sister was Frances deBruton Murdoch (mother to the drovers) wife of the first James Beveridge Murdoch (wed Hobart 1845).  I have details re their sisters and who they married etc and would like to find what happened to George, I'm only guessing he went north with his nephews when they left Anakie Vic c late 1870's early 1880's.  I am still looking for records relating to Frances's death. According to the tree she allegedly died c1880 at Anakie.  Only problem is I am yet to locate a death record in Victoria for her and there isn't a cemetery at Anakie Vic, there is one in Qld but not much in the way of burial records and am yet to find a record for her in Qld either.
Re the death record in NSW at Hillston - I am only guessing again, the age fits and the place of birth also fits.  The only thing that doesn't fit is he was buried in the RC section of the Hillston cemetery, so unless he wed a catholic lass and changed from being a protestant it may not be him.  Or if he was buried as a pauper the catholic church may have 'claimed' him.   It is a work in progress and am on a fishing expedition hoping there are descendants  of either George or Rebecca Golfinch that an confirm or deny my idea.
Abygail
Durham - HARDY Ann, Mary, CLARKE William, Elizabeth, DABRON Robert, Thomas, Rhoda >1853
Tyrone- SEETON George, John; COULTER Mary>1919
Clonmel Tipperary - KELLY Daniel b1812 wed in Aust.1849 
Cornwell - Newton on Abbot area SYMON(D)S - George Harvie wife BALSOM(E) Mary b1795
Headford Galway - Bridget KING famine orphan and Tuam Workhouse
  Abygail