Author Topic: George ROBERTSON and Rebecca GOLDFINCH  (Read 3489 times)

Offline Abygail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: George Robertson and Rebecca Goldfinch
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 05 May 12 06:01 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the input re Rebecca Goldfinch.  I have found it to be a process of elimination with any of my missing ancestors.   I feel I can confidently say that I have eliminated Rebecca Goldfinch and her family as a potential wife to 'my' George Robertson.   IF I have the right man dying at Hillston then both Hughendon men are eliminated, so will need to investigate the Hughendon pair further to see what I can find about them.   I hadn't come across them previously, Hughendon it right in the middle of where the Murdochs' were droving.  Would be nice if one turns out to my George Robertson.
Abygail
Durham - HARDY Ann, Mary, CLARKE William, Elizabeth, DABRON Robert, Thomas, Rhoda >1853
Tyrone- SEETON George, John; COULTER Mary>1919
Clonmel Tipperary - KELLY Daniel b1812 wed in Aust.1849 
Cornwell - Newton on Abbot area SYMON(D)S - George Harvie wife BALSOM(E) Mary b1795
Headford Galway - Bridget KING famine orphan and Tuam Workhouse
  Abygail

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 05 May 12 06:13 BST (UK) »
I have to agree that this George and Rebecca can't be yours.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,180650.0.html

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline mum mum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Robert Warnock and Annie Balcombe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 05 May 12 08:11 BST (UK) »
Hi
Let me get this straight in my own head.
Your George WAS the son of Gilbert and Agnes and WAS born in tas 1833, any other sightings of George Robertson are NOY necessarily your George.

When was he last seen in Tas, do you have any record or his leaving?  Was he listed as living on his parents death certificates.

mum mum
Balcombe, Sussex. Warnes, Norfolk and Australia. Hansen, Denmark and Canada. Williams, Canada. Warnock, Forsythe, Joyce, Sayers, in Ireland.

Offline Abygail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 05 May 12 13:33 BST (UK) »
Hi mum mum,
George was born at Richmond Tas c1833 to Agnes and Gilbert Robertson, in 1845 his eldest sister Frances married James Murdoch at Hobart.  In 1846 their father Gilbert took up the post of Agricultural Superintendent on Norfolk Island.   Gilbert and young George are in passenger list sailing there Dec 1846 with Agnes and 3 daughters following later.   There was a difference of opinion between Gilbert and the incoming Commander (Price) ending with Gilbert being dismissed, he left with young George for Hobart and then on to Geelong where he took up a position with the local newspaper.  After this there is no concrete information re George other than a letter written c1849 by Frances asking if Gilbert can get George to catch a Port Phillip parrot for her children.
I have nothing concrete about George from then forward.   James Murdoch died in 1871 and his property at Anakie was sold in 1886 when the youngest son turned 21 and the older brothers headed for Queensland.
I know a lot is pure speculation but it has worked with other branches of my tree, look at what was happening, where they have moved to and who were missing, did they go as well?
Big ask I know.    Abygail
Durham - HARDY Ann, Mary, CLARKE William, Elizabeth, DABRON Robert, Thomas, Rhoda >1853
Cornwell - Newton on Abbot area SYMON(D)S - George Harvie wife BALSOM(E) Mary b1795
  Abygail

Offline Abygail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 05 May 12 13:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Gerry,
everything you have put up re the Murdochs is relevant to my tree, they are all members of the family.  Just one question, the age of George Robertson, hotel keeper, Hughenden, was it listed in the electoral rolls?  Will have a look when I finish here but by 1895 my George would be about 62.
Have talked with an in law descendant of Gilbert Murdoch from Hughenden but she didn't mention the hotel keeper.  Her daughter is more into the tree I have been told.
Abygail
  Abygail

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 05 May 12 14:03 BST (UK) »
Abygail,

The early Qld State Electoral Rolls had the qualification date with their age which may have been plus or minus a few years from their proper age. 

I see Gilbert left NI on the 293 ton Barque Franklin on 13th Oct 1846 arriving Hobat 27th Oct 1846.

Nice to have early settlement genealogy.

Gerry