Author Topic: The MAY Family to Australia?  (Read 9858 times)

Offline redtonyt

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The MAY Family to Australia?
« on: Friday 04 May 12 19:17 BST (UK) »
Mary Ann Alice Barnes married Richard Jones May on 26 June 1847 at Poplar All Saints.  I have found two children Nancy Jones May born 27 Feb 1851 and Sarah Alice born 18 Oct 1852.  They were both baptised on 15 December 1852 at Stepney, St Dunstan & All Saints.  The family’s abode was given as 6 Eltham Place, Mile End Old Town, Middlesex.

Mary Ann Alice Barnes was born 8 May 1823 in Limehouse, Middlesex the daughter of John Barnes and Sarah Hatfield.  Richard Jones May was born (I believe) in Folkestone, Kent c1819 the son of William (as per Marriage Certificate) and Ann.  Both Richard and his father were Mariners.

I have found Mary Ann Alice May with daughter [Ann (sic)] Nancy in 1851.  Richard is noted as absent at sea.  HO107, Piece 1551, Folio 237, Page 24.  After this I cannot find them in the UK apart from the baptism above.

Then in 1869 a Nancy Jones May marries Joseph E Lambert in St Leonards, New South Wales.  Sadly it appears she died in 1874 and as far as I can tell there were no children from the marriage.  The Australian Death Record for Nancy Lambert has her father as Richard J and mother as Mary A.  Apart from this sighting I can find no trace of the other members of the family.  I did manage to find a Mr R May, Mrs and Family as Unassisted Immigrants to NSW landing 15 May 1853 off the Duke of Wellington.  So the questions are:-

1.   Does anyone have more detail of this family that landed in 1853 and are they my May Family?

2.   If it is not my family can anyone find Nancy or any of the others coming to Australia?

3.   If the family did come to Australia can anyone find what happened to them?  Were there any more children etc. etc?

For information two of Mary Ann Alice’s sisters married, then emigrated to Victoria, with their families, in the 1850s.  They were Martha Eliza Flannery and Elizabeth Ware Lopas.

Sorry for the information overload but I believe it best to tell all I know.

Regards,
Tony

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
Re: The May Family to Australia?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 May 12 19:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Tony,
Mary Ann May died St Leonards Sydney 1888 Ref#6040/1888  Aged 65 years.
Richard Jones May died 1858 Ref# V18587031 122A/1858 NSW no further info
Sarah A May died 1854 as an Infant. IE under 5yrs old
Ref# V1854352 41A/1854  Sarah A May INFANT No Further information.

This is from NSW Birth Death and marriages.
 http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/familyHistory/familyHistory.htm

The actual certificates can be purchased online or transcripts shlightly cheaper can be ordered

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,300394.0.html

Cheers Neil ;D From Oz
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 May 12 20:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Again, This would need to be checked but there is also this marriage.

Rf # 936/1879  JOHN C H SMITH Married SARAH ANN MAY 1879 in SYDNEY

Neil 

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 May 12 20:10 BST (UK) »
Neil you are up early...
I have some wallpaper mcs for various John Smith chaps ...  Give me time to finish a cuppa with OH and to get to puter (on my e reader ATM) and I will get to my St L's offline stuffs

Cheers JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 04 May 12 20:16 BST (UK) »
Reading the dc references ....  The ones starting with V are pre civil rego  so will only give burial info.  Dont order anything just yet ...

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 04 May 12 20:40 BST (UK) »
Umm I have an excuse, crook back, shingles among a few. Wots yours?

Looks Like Mr John Smith may have been John C J not C h. Probably a typo from the wonderful transcribers.

They had some kids up our way.
Ref # 27201/1880
JOHN CHRISTOPHER J SMITH Father JOHN C J 
and Mum SARAH ANN  at Wollombi NSWWOLLOMBI Also 

Ref # 34125/1885 THOMAS ST P SMITH Dad JOHN C J  and Mum
SARAH ANN at Millfield NSW 

Its 5.30am now ooooo ;D

Neil

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 04 May 12 20:52 BST (UK) »
twenty minutes after Neil !

OH is helping at a GST day and needed to be heading down towards the F3 by 5:45 ....  (as in Garage Sale Trail, not the Goods and Services Tax ... ie Tony your VAT is our usual GST)

Here's some directory info I have typed up after I finished my cuppa.  :)

The then district of St Leonards covered that district we know as today’s St Leonards, but it was a much larger area in the 1850s, 60s, 70s etc.  The then police district of St Leonards actually stretched all the way to the Parramatta Police District, meeting it near Rydalmere on the Parramatta River ....

From the Sands 1867 Directory for Sydney :
There’s three Mrs MAY entries:
Mrs May, 20 Middle St (JM notes this would be in Sydney CBD)
Mrs E May, baker, 361 Sussex St  (Sydney CBD)
Mrs Fanny MAY, dressmaker, Palmer St, Bal (Bal = Balmain)

Sands 1869 Dir
Mrs Martha MAY, 46 Wellington St (CBD)
Mrs Mary MAY, dressmaker, Palmer St, Bal
Mrs MAY, Norton St, Glebe
Mrs MAY, Raglan St, Manly.  MANLY (JM believes Manly would be in the then police district of St Leonards !!!!!)

Sands 1871 Dir
Mrs MAY Pamer St, Balmain
Mrs Martha MAY, 17 Randle St (CBD)

Sands 1873 Dir
Mrs Anne MAY, 33 East St (CBD)

Sands 1885
Mrs Annie MAY,  Liverpool Rd, Bur  (Bur = Burwood)
Mrs MAY, 282 Bourke St (CBD)
Mrs MAY, Palmer St, Bal

Sands 1890
Mrs A MAY, 67 Palmer St, Balmain
Mrs C H MAY, 5 Ford St, Newtown
Mrs E A MAY, 8 Wigram St South, Forest Lodge
Mrs E MAY, grocer, 35 Liverpool St (CBD)
Mrs E MAY, 22 Healey St Paddington
Mrs MAY, laundress, Angel St, Burwood
Mrs MAY, laundress, Grafton St, Woollahra
Mrs W H MAY 63 Palmer St Balmain

Cheers,  JM

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 04 May 12 21:06 BST (UK) »
Umm Maybe,

Courtesy of Mr Wikipeadia. ;D

The Royal North Shore Hospital began as a cottage hospital located in Willoughby Rd, Crows Nest. The foundation stone was laid by Sir Henry Parkes, 18 June 1887. The hospital was opened with accommodation for 14 patients, with the requisite office and rooms for the medical and nursing staff. Medical staff numbered 4 honorary doctors and nursing staff numbered 5. The site of the original hospital was bounded by Willoughby Rd., Albany and Holterman Streets and Zig Zag Lane. The old site is now a busy part of the commercial centre of Crows Nest.[1]

"Vanderfield Building" - Royal North Shore Hospital (Elevation)In 1902 it opened on its current site at St Leonards, with 48 beds available for patients.

Maybe, possibly, could be ???

Neil

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 04 May 12 21:29 BST (UK) »
Neil,

I am having a tad of difficulty with John SMITH ....  I have checked, I don't have that mc  (one of those in our household has G Grandparents John and Mary SMITH ! ... UMMM and until the last decade or so, we all presumed they had perhaps swum from UK to NZ and then to NSW, so we have a wallpaper collection of paperwork for John Smith from various rellies, friends, and other sources including our own pennies !) 

When I wake up properly I will go through the various offline electoral rolls

Cheers,  JM (PS, did they have cleaning staff at the hospital in that era? )