Author Topic: The MAY Family to Australia?  (Read 9893 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: The May Family to Australia?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 04 May 12 22:10 BST (UK) »
Tony,

I am trying to find info re Richard MAY .... particularly as to which one was the chap mentioned in these cuttings
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/12953629 Sydney Morning Herald 20 July 1854.
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/12956273 SMH 21 July 1854

There is a fantastic resource available free to search, no registration needed, digitised many newspapers covering all of Australia, and regularly updated with more digitised newspapers .... It is a real treasure trove and I rather suspect that you enjoy researching directly, once you have some pointers to look through  :) ...

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/home 

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline redtonyt

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 04 May 12 22:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much to both JM and Neil.

Now my suspicions are confirmed that the Mays did go to Oz.  ;D

Neil if you have shingles I feel for you.  I had it back in 1985 and I was lucky to get more than 2 hours sleep a night before I woke up with my finger nails digging into the track over my head.  That lasted for a few weeks.  Mind I was lucky I had it in the middle of summer so it wasn't too bad getting up and going for a run at 3am.

Thanks again and am looking forward to more revelations.  :) :) :)

Oh, by the way JM don't rub it in about watching activities on Lake Macquarie.  The weather here in the UK is dreadful at the moment.  The temperature is forecast to be lower this holiday weekend than at Christmas!  8) 8) 8)

JM.
Thanks for the Trove site I have used it before particularly on the two families that went to Victoria.  Can't recall if I looked for the Mays probably only Mary Ann Alice.  I agree it is fantastic and helped me to find the birth of a lady that died in Brisbane but was born in Limpley Stoke, Wiltshire! :)

I shall now head to bed as my dog will be up with the light 5am for his early morning walk. ::)

When I get back from that I shall digest all the wonderful information you have found.

Best regards,
Tony

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 04 May 12 22:30 BST (UK) »
Here's the RChat link to the NSW Resources Board, there's lots of links there too.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,369703.0.html 

At the moment I am looking through my offline resources to figure out where the 1854 and 1858 burials may have been.  It is possible that they were possibly re-interred decades later.  (The main Sydney cemetery in use in the 1850s .... The Devonshire Street Cemetery was closed and Central Railway Station built over the site)

Cheers,  JM  (Our Dog is waiting for his breakfast ATM)
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 04 May 12 22:57 BST (UK) »
Would you consider a John Christopher Joseph SMITH?  He was a Postmaster at Wollombi in around 1890 - 1893 ?

NSW SRO Bankruptcy File for him  :o  Must have experienced some issues in balancing his FAP1A fortnightly return....

http://srwww.records.nsw.gov.au/indexes/searchform.aspx?id=59

Cheers,  JM

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 04 May 12 23:43 BST (UK) »
Hey Jm that John Christopher Joseph would be the one born there 1880 ;D

Wow he went up quick!

Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 04 May 12 23:46 BST (UK) »
Do we know YET where JCJ Smith's parents are buried?

You are getting slow Neil .... get on the case ASAP ...  ;D

Cheers,  JM

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 05 May 12 01:24 BST (UK) »
Ergh there are lots of sites on North Shore. Willoughby Road, Crows Nest in the late 19th Century, RNSH was deliberately built next to a cemetery. :-X

There is also South Chatswood At the Wesleyan Church and Gore Hill. But I cant find a referance to Mary Ann May. :-\

Smith, anyones guess :o
I went to school with a John Smith
Neil

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 05 May 12 01:33 BST (UK) »
http://austcemindex.com/cemeteries.php?state=NSW

As a young lass in rural NSW, I lived next door to a John Smith, and his Dad lived there too and his Dad's name was also John Smith.   ;D

http://www.manly.nsw.gov.au/planning-and-development/heritage/manly-cemetery-heritage/  but they keep their Burial Registers in a STRONG ROOM but there's pdf files for many of the transcriptions at that link  ;D

Adding  SHhhhhhhhhhh.......  I will get onto the pdfs in around an hour ! .... don't dob me to my OH though...  :)

Cheers,  JM  ADDING ALSO RNSH are adding 20 + cleaners and porters to their staff after all the issues of the recent past... 

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 05 May 12 01:52 BST (UK) »
Had my gall Bladder out at RNSH and woke up in the cleaners room at 3.00am. Obviously didn't have too many then. ;D I had to get up and wander the corridors to find a nurse (they didn't have buzzers in the cleaners room). Found them all sitting down having a cuppa and watching tele!

They said to go back to bed, I said any chance of one of those ???  :P and they pointed to the kitchen and said you will have to wash up a cup they are all dirty,  :o then get back to bed. >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Doh! >:( do I wanna go back. ::)