Author Topic: Holden & Baston  (Read 15119 times)

Offline J17

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Holden & Baston
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 09 June 12 15:51 BST (UK) »
Hi
I now have what I believe to be a copy of Arthur and Annie's marriage certificate.
It records Arthur's occupation as - soldier, R.W.F and his address as Royal Barracks. The certificate also records Arthur's fathers name as Edward.
(Arthur came from a military family and I believe that at one time, he was Bat-Man to his own nephew).
The certificate records Annie's fathers name as William, (a Caretaker) and her address as 18 Prussia St. This particular fact is unexpected, as Annie told her children that she was brought up on a small holding, in/near Dublin.
I am still searching but have unfortunately been unable to move forward with my search - any info would be much appreciated.
Regards
Ann

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 09 June 12 16:00 BST (UK) »
The addresses on a marriage certs are where the bride and groom were living at the time of marriage. May not be where they were born or brought up..

In a 1914 directory number 18 Prussia St. is listed as a Miss Mary Cossford, dressmaker.

Now that you have details of their father you could progress to searches for the births of Annie and Arthur. A probable record for his birth is posted in reply#2

I'll check for possible births for Annie..

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline J17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 09 June 12 16:05 BST (UK) »
Many thanks
Ann

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 09 June 12 16:29 BST (UK) »
likely birth for Annie :

name: Anne Holden
  registration district:   Dublin South
  event type: Birth
  Quarter and year: Jan-Mar 1892
  Volume: 2 / page: 594

The district fits with the area the family appear on the census returns.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline J17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 30 June 12 15:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane
As a result of your recent advice, I now have the birth certificates of Annie Holden and Arthur William Masson Baston.
I am a little confused re: the Masson name, as this was not previously known to our family. Having said that, other details in the document appear to be correct, including the fact that there was a significant difference in the social standing of both my grand parents families.
Is ther any way of me confirming that this particular Arthur Baston was indeed my grand father?
Regards
Ann

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 30 June 12 15:27 BST (UK) »
Is ther any way of me confirming that this particular Arthur Baston was indeed my grand father?

does the name and occupation for Arthur's father match on the marriage and birth certs for him ?

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline J17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 30 June 12 15:49 BST (UK) »
The marriage certificate records name and occupation as - Edward Baston, Retired Employee Government.
Birth certificate records - Edward Baston, Clergyman, (his mothers maiden name Masson).
We know he came from a military family and he was connected with the church.

Ann

Offline hasta

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 30 June 12 18:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Ann
Just going back to the Sidney Baston that ran away and joined the Merchant Navy. If you want to find out more on him, Merchant Navy records up to 1941 are held at Southampton Council archives
http://www.southampton.gov.uk/s-leisure/artsheritage/history/maritimehistory/centralindex.aspx
and after 1941 are at the National Archives, Kew.
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/research-guides/merchant-seamen-sea-service-1913-1972.htm
Findmypast has a searchable database up to 1941, and I don't see him there so likely he was still serving post 1941 and the NA will have them. They will contain information on the names and dates for ships he sailed on etc. but the really good thing about them is that the CR10 card will have a very good quality picture of him, taken when he joined up.

Offline crimea1854

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 30 June 12 20:26 BST (UK) »
Hi

On Find my Past there is a service record for an Edward John Baston, born India to a Rev Edward Baston. He left the RWF as a Colour Sgt. in 1912 in Wrexham, wife Florence Ethel Baston - looks like your mans father.

The record also includes his death certificate as Edward John Masson Baston 1941.

I have just looked on Ancestry and there is a surviving WW1 Service Record for his brother Herbert N M Baston, also born in India, to Rev. E and Isabella Baston. He is shown in the RWF entitled to the 1900 China Medal with clasp for Relief of Pekin.

This is from FIBIS (well worth a further look):

Nov 15th (1871) at St John's Church Nynee Tal by the Rev J Richards MA Edward Baston Head Master Diocesan Schools Nynee Tal to Isabella CS McD Masson only daughter of the late J McD Masson Esq Bengal Civil Service 

Martin