Author Topic: Holden & Baston  (Read 15111 times)

Offline J17

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Holden & Baston
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 30 June 12 22:16 BST (UK) »
Hi
Until recently, I had no knowledge of another Baston family in the Wrexham area. I know Arthur served in the RWF and at one time was Batman to his own nephew.
Mum remembers Arthur had a sister Mabel, (married name Phillips). I have found a record of Mabel Phillips in the 1911 census records, living in Plymouth. Also included on this form is the name of Isabella Baston - mother - age 62.
Many years ago, I know my mothers brother Edward visited relatives in Plymouith, though due to past history, he was not welcomed and no further contact was ever made.

Yesterday, I received copies of documents from the National Archives re: Sidney Baston. I now have a record of ships he sailed on up until his discharge in 1944. I also have an address in Barry, S/Wales where he was discharged to. Sadly, no photograph was included in the info but I will make a further request. I have begun to search for further info.
Thanks
Ann

Offline crimea1854

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 01 July 12 13:54 BST (UK) »
Ann

On reflection Edward John is more likely to be Arthur's brother being born in 1871  :-[

However, I did find the following on the Malta Family History website, which may help you create a fuller family tree:

Herbert Nelson BASTON, aged 23 years, bachelor, Lance-Sergeant, Royal Welch Fusiliers, the son of Edward Baston, Clerk in Holy Orders, married 22nd February 1897 to, Annie GREGORY, aged 20 years, spinster, the daughter of Frederick Gregory, Bandmaster, Royal Welch Fusiliers

This might also be of interest, found in the India Office Records:

Plymouth Constabulary; forwards information on Rev Edward Massen Baston charged with obtaining money, food and lodging by false pretences  IOR/L/PJ/6/472, File 319  15 Feb 1898

Martin

Offline J17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 01 July 12 16:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Martin
This is interesting, especially as my grand father Arthur was also a Bandsman in the RWF.
Many thanks
Ann

Offline hasta

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 01 July 12 17:40 BST (UK) »
What a pity you didn't get the photo - (did you get the pink CR10 ?)  Could be that it never got moved over in 1941 and is still at Southampton.

Do you have access to the military records for Edward John and Herbert Baston posted by crimea1854 ?
I can't access the one for Edward John, but the one for Herbert states
Father: Rev E Baston
Mother: Isabella
Brothers: Edward, James, Arthur
Sisters: Mabel (+ may be 1 other but can't make out the word)
Parents address: 27 Anson Place, St Judes, Plymouth.

Offline J17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 01 July 12 18:18 BST (UK) »
Hi
I received a C.R.S.2 R.S.3, plus a Summary of service but no CR10 for Sidney.
I do not have access to the military records, so am unable to chase this up at the present.
Thanks
Ann

Offline hasta

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 01 July 12 18:55 BST (UK) »
Find my past has a credit system so you can just pay for the record you want (though it is fairly expensive) Ancestry has a free trial - full access for 14 days.
You just need to remember to cancel it (which is very simple to do) Though I warn you that by the time the 14 days were up I was thoroughly addicted to it and have kept it on ever since !!

This military family (Edward, Herbert etc)
seem very strongly to be Arthur's family, but one question - Do you know where Arthur actually grew up ?

Also someone is working on the Edward John Baston line here. Father is down as Robert which is wrong - but it does say it is a work in progress !
http://thepeerage.com/p53295.htm

Offline J17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 01 July 12 19:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks, I will indeed try the 14 days free trial!
Mum believed her father (Arthur), came from Letterkenny in Ireland. However, his accent was rather upper class English, a contrast to my grandmothers which was very much a Dublin accent.
Mum also remembers that Arthur's sister Mabel was a keen horse woman and continued to ride until she was quite elderly.
Ann

Offline hasta

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 02 July 12 19:26 BST (UK) »
Going back to Annie Holden, here are the baptisms of herself and her siblings, going from that 1901 census record. Not much detail in them but does give you a surname for Annie's mother which appears to be Cunningham/Conyngham
Holden Baptisms

also from
Irish Times 20th July 1886
The Church in Ireland.
"The Rev Edward Baston senior curate of Conwal, Letterkenny, Diocese of Raphoe who was unanimously elected by The Board of Nomination, has been instituted incumbent  of the parish of Castledawson Diocese of Derry, in succession to the Rev H.G Warren appointed to the incumbency of Dungiven"

Irish Times 19th April 1890.
Life in Burma
"Lecture in The Coffee House Hotel on Monday evening, by the Rev Edward Baston who spent 20 years in the East. The chair will be taken by Paul Aston Esq. JP and during the evening a musical programme will be given. Admission  1d. Front seats 2d."

Offline J17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 02 July 12 21:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you so very much for your efforts on my behalf.
I am attaching what I believe to be is my grandmothers birth cert, (Annie Holden). I couldnt quite make out her surname. Please could you have a look and if possible advise me of the correct spelling/name.
Is it at all possible that the original spelling of the name was recorded in error? Also, her fathers name was William.
Regards
Ann

Moderator Note - Image cropped, full Certs are not permitted.