Author Topic: Holden & Baston  (Read 15117 times)

Offline hasta

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Holden & Baston
« Reply #36 on: Monday 02 July 12 23:30 BST (UK) »
Hi
That sure looks like CUNION to me, not a name I have ever come across.
I just plumped for Cunningham/Conyngham as the last two baptisms on the list were very close to that.

Normally, I would believe a civil cert over a baptism record as the spellings on them tends to be fairly haphazard. I just had a look at RootsIeland and it only has 7 births/baptisms and 5 marriages for CUNION, so while you can say it does exist as a name it is very rare and probably a variant of Cunningham or Conyngham or other.

I also notice the column on the right, is that the informants column ? If so then Anne the mother is illiterate as she has placed her X. So probably Anne herself would not have known if her name had been spelled correctly.
Probably at this stage it's best to keep all variants under consideration if you are looking for their marriage.

Offline J17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 02 July 12 23:42 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have Annie's and Arthur's wedding cert, (I hope !) and it has the name Anastasia Holden recorded as a witness to the ceremony. Annie had one sister affectionately known to my mother as aunty "Nat". I know one of Annie's sisters became a nun but not sure of her name. Is it possible the pet name  "Nat" could
refer to Anastasia?
Ann

Offline hasta

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 04 July 12 01:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Ann
Really there's no way of anyone knowing if Anastasia was also known to family as 'Nat'. It does sound quite plausible though.
I had a great aunt Anastasia and she was always known as Stasia, but each family to their own.

What we do know from the census records that ShaneW posted is that in 1911 they say they have had 9 children born and 7 living.
The baptism records for Bohernabreena record 6 births. Of those it looks likely that neither of the Williams (born 1884 and 1895) survived to 1901. In 1911 they also have James (age 4) so that gives 5 of the 7 children that lived to 1911, which means 2 are missing.

On the 1901 census both William and Anne say they were born in Co. Wicklow. So a search on http://www.rootsireland.ie/ shows a marriage between a William Holden and Anne Cuniam in 1878. (you can find that much out by trial an error - to buy the full record, which is a transcription of the register will cost €2.50 I think) but it looks very promising.
Regarding the birth of Anastasia Holden - and keeping the Wicklow theme in mind the best match for her birth I can find is
Name:    Anastasia Holden
Date :    Apr-May-Jun 1881
Registration district:    Rathdrum
Birth Country:    Ireland
Volume:    2
Page:    963

Offline J17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 04 July 12 12:12 BST (UK) »
Many thanks
Ann

Offline Chrissie09

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 05 June 13 11:43 BST (UK) »
Ann

On reflection Edward John is more likely to be Arthur's brother being born in 1871  :-[

However, I did find the following on the Malta Family History website, which may help you create a fuller family tree:

Herbert Nelson BASTON, aged 23 years, bachelor, Lance-Sergeant, Royal Welch Fusiliers, the son of Edward Baston, Clerk in Holy Orders, married 22nd February 1897 to, Annie GREGORY, aged 20 years, spinster, the daughter of Frederick Gregory, Bandmaster, Royal Welch Fusiliers

This might also be of interest, found in the India Office Records:

Plymouth Constabulary; forwards information on Rev Edward Massen Baston charged with obtaining money, food and lodging by false pretences  IOR/L/PJ/6/472, File 319  15 Feb 1898

Martin

Offline Chrissie09

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 05 June 13 11:50 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I too am doing my Ancestry, and am very interested in what you say.
My grandfather was Herbert Nelson Masson Baston. His first wife was Annie Gregory who he married in India in 1897. She then died aged 32 in India having birth to 5 children. 4 of whom survived. He then went on to marry my grandmother Violet Baston who was Annie's sister, then giving birth to Violet, Winifred, and my mother Margaret.
I have more info about him, but will leave that for now.

Christine Kennedt

Offline Awilliams85

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 22 April 14 00:53 BST (UK) »
Annie was my Great Grandmother, I am Gwendoline and Elwyn's Grandson.

Offline Awilliams85

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 23 April 14 20:28 BST (UK) »
I can't pm at the moment

Offline Awilliams85

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile