Author Topic: COMPLETED Lamberton toll marriages  (Read 7750 times)

Offline Helen K

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Lamberton toll marriages
« Reply #9 on: Friday 11 May 12 17:46 BST (UK) »
I've also read your previous post about this YOUNG family. Which of Robert and Ann YOUNG's children do you have an interest in?

I have a lot of information regarding son Andrew and his family if that's of any help to you.

Regards

Helen K

Census transcriptions are Crown Copyright of the National Archives

Offline geoffreyhyoung

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 12 May 12 15:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your message Helen. i would be interested in any info about Roberts children including Andrew you may have. I really am beginning to think that they had family over the border which may account for absences for Robert and Andrew in birth records and Roberts absence in the 1841 census.

Offline Helen K

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 12 May 12 16:44 BST (UK) »
Hi geoff

The fact that fisherman's wife was recorded and then crossed out beside wife Ann's name in the 1841 Census makes me believe that at that time Robert was in fact a fisherman and away at sea.

I have several families of fishermen who changed to land-based occupations in their later years.

Andrew's baptism is my priority at present. It really doesn't make sense that all other YOUNG children's births or baptisms were recorded at Spittal, but no Andrew YOUNG. Several possibilities spring to mind for this.

Baptised elsewhere?
Baptised later than birth year?
Not baptised at all?
Surname not YOUNG at birth?
Surname YOUNG recorded wrongly

It's a puzzler! Stranger still for me is that this Andrew also had a son named Andrew. I've not yet found his birth, baptism or 1st marriage, but have details for all the other children!!! History repeating itself?

I'm still keen to know which child of Robert and Ann YOUNG interests you.

Regards

Helen K

Census transcriptions are Crown Copyright of the National Archives

Offline geoffreyhyoung

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 12 May 12 21:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Helen,
I know what you mean. It can get frustrating. My interest is in Andrew, then his son Andrew and his son Robert who was my dads father. Amonst my dads siblings there was no Andrew but there was one in my generation, my cousin so the name was obviosly a family one from an early time.
Have you seen Andrew's will of 1892. he left around £138.
I still have an idea that there was family over the border but not sure how to check on this. Also apparently Northumberlands records have alot of events for Spittal presbyterian which are not in the IGI index. Maybe Andrew is there?
I am not sure if recording Ann as a fishermans wife wasn't just an error by the recorder as there were alot of fishermen in Ord. There was a Matthew Young recorded as a fisherman. Not sure if this was in the 1841 or51 census.
Kind Regards
Geoff

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 12 May 12 23:10 BST (UK) »
Just because their a fisherman, it doesn't mean they were at sea. he could have been a River Fisherman. there was many fishermen and boathouses right along the River Tweed on both sides of the River/Border.  Robert could have been fishing on the river when the census was done not necessarity at sea.

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 13 May 12 11:54 BST (UK) »
A family  tree on  the net (Clan Moffatt) has Ann being Ann Moffatt. While it gives no evidence for this, there are some coincidences.

A baptism at Tweedmouth, Dec 19 1793. Ann daughter of Roger and Ann Moffatt of East Ord.

Other children of Roger and Ann Moffatt include Jane Douglas Moffatt, baptized Tweedmouth 29 May 1785, of East Ord. Also Roger Moffitt,  baptized Berwick on Tweed, 8 April 1777.

A Roger Moffatt and his wife Elizabeth, of East Ord, are having children baptized at Spittal Presbyterian in the same time frame as Robert and Ann Youngs children. Includes two daughters named Jane Douglas Moffatt in1816 and 1817. Robert and Ann have a daughter named Jane Douglas Young baptized in 1819.

Also claims that Ann Young (daughter of Robert Young and Ann Moffatt) married Robert Moffatt, June 1860, Berwick on Tweed. This Robert Moffatt was grandson of Roger and Ann Moffatt, by their son Robert Cashel Moffatt.

All a bit flimsy, but something to work on.

Alan.
Northumberland - Smith, Willis,
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Cumberland - Irving, Hill
North Yorkshire - Layfield,
Ireland - Collins

Offline geoffreyhyoung

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 13 May 12 15:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks Alan, i will check those records. I just wonder if families who were Presbyterian and then of Scottish ilk would have had religious ceremonies in the Anglican church? But alot of what you have said does link in about the Douglas name. I have also seen a Jane Douglas baptised aroung 1817 at Spittal. I know from family in staithes yorkshire that intermarriage amongst local families was rife until the late C19th when travel became more accessible. I will have a look at the instances you have said and get back to you. Thanks greatly for your input as I have been really frustrated by this for years. keep coming back to it and now realise I must think a bit more laterally!

Offline geoffreyhyoung

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 13 May 12 15:13 BST (UK) »
terianne, I know that most fishermen in the Tweedmouth area would have fished from salmon cobles in the estuary and river and not offshore. Inshore fishing on our coast is a bit of an area of expertise of mine! which is why i was surprised that there were so many fishermen recorded and not Robert if he was one. I still think away in scotland is a possibility.

Offline geoffreyhyoung

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 14 May 12 17:52 BST (UK) »
Besides Spittal does anyone know the other Prebyterian chapels in the vicinty which people may have used?