Author Topic: No trace of my Crighton ancestors after 1865  (Read 30629 times)

Offline dkmcad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: No trace of my Crighton ancestors after 1865
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 01 September 05 15:00 BST (UK) »
Forgot to say, you will find some photographs of Dundee, as it is nowadays, at:

http://www.mccrow.org.uk/

Offline alcrighton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 01 September 05 15:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks Dorothy!

A lot of this information is new for me. I didn't have an exact date of birth for Alexander and I didn't have the 1851 census information.  It's interesting that the OPR has the spelling as Creighton since the 1841 Census entry for John & Isabella is spelt Crichton and the family has been spelling the name Crighton since at least 1860 (Alexander & Matilda's Marriage Certificate).

I haven't been able to find them any of the censuses either but it's strange that they are not in Queen Street in 1861.  Alexander and Matilda's marriage certificate from 3rd December 1860 has his address as 16 Queen Street, Dundee and their daughter Matilda's birth certificate from 5th October 1865 has the address as Stromers? Land, Queen Street, Dundee. 

Would you mind looking at the 1861 census for Queen Street again to find out who was living at number 16 and to see if there is a house name anywhere in Queen Street that resembles "Stromers Land"?

Many Thanks,

Al
Crighton, Dundee & London<br />Woodgates, Bath, Devon & London<br />Curtis, Nottinghamshire & Islington<br />Maker, Cornwall & London<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dkmcad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 01 September 05 20:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Al,
Glad to be of some help :D

Yes, I will check Queen Street again, next week and get back to you.  It was only a very quick look as I was running out of time.  I thought they should be there. 

Did you notice John Crichton age 11 on the census?  John Crichton was born to John Crichton and Isabell Sinclair 10th/27th April, 1839 in Dundee.   Wonder what happened to the first John.  Perhaps he died????

Also on the Census, not sure who Martha Jack, Mother-in-Law would be, perhaps you might know.

I wouldn't worry about the different spellings of the name, it all depended on who was recording as to whichever spelling was used.  High levels of illiteracy in those days! 

Unusual you can't find the family on any of the later census'.  Just a thought, I see that James Jackson, Matilda's father was born in Ireland.  Might just be possible that Alexander, Matilda and family went over to Ireland sometime before the 1871 census????  I had a look for deaths on SP, but there is no sign of a Matilda Crighton (any spelling) which would fit in.   

Anyway, will get back to you next week. 

Dorothy

Offline alcrighton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 01 September 05 20:34 BST (UK) »
Hi again Dorothy,

I'd kind of dismissed the second John Crighton (b. 1839) as from my family for a number of reasons:

1. He was born so long after the rest of the children
2. The presence of the first John to the same parents
3. The IGI record I originally saw was a user submitted one.

Having thought about it and found that there is an extracted IGI record as well as the user submitted one, I think that the most likely possibility is that the first John died (as you said).

Martha Jack was Isabella Crighton's (Nee. Sinclair) mother.  Martha married James Sinclair around 1820.  It seemed to be common practice for married women to appear on the Scottish censuses under their maiden names.  The 1841 census (Freecen) has John Crichton (sic) living with Isabella Sinclair, daughter Anne and son John aged 2 (there he is again!).  The practice did not appear to be universal however- Helen Jackson is recorded under her married rather than maiden name (which was Ross).

I didn't know (nor did I spot from your post earlier  :-[ ) that James Jackson was born in Ireland but funnily enough, the possibility of an Irish connection occurred to me earlier today since Alexander was in the textile industry and I've since posted on the Irish board asking for help on following up this theory.

Looking forward to what you might be able to turn up.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards,

Al
Crighton, Dundee & London<br />Woodgates, Bath, Devon & London<br />Curtis, Nottinghamshire & Islington<br />Maker, Cornwall & London<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dkmcad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 01 September 05 20:46 BST (UK) »
Quite common for Scottish women to use their maiden name after marriage - we do like our independence ;D
Will get back to you.   

Offline dkmcad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 08 September 05 16:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Al, found them on the 1861 census -

1861 Dundee Census - 282-1 Book 5/6 Page 36 -209

Stroners Land (could be Stomers Land it's not clear)
Alex N. Crichton Head Mar Age 36 Power Loom Overseer Born Forfarshire Airlie
Matilda Crighton Wife Mar Age 26 Born Dundee, Forfarshire

(Note the difference in the spelling of the name - Crichton/Crighton)

Sorry can't really help you with any more.  Hope you manage to find what happened to them.

Dorothy

Offline alcrighton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 08 September 05 20:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Dorothy,

Thanks so much for this new information - I knew they had to be there in the 1861 census!  Thanks also for all you've managed to find - it's helped a lot.  The middle initial for Alexander ties up with the birth record you found me earlier and a death record I've just found on FreeBMD (it wasn't there a couple of months agi when I first looked):

Deaths, December Quarter 1900, West Derby, Lancs. Crighton, Alexander Nicol, Vol. 8b p. 281

So I finally have the first trace of my Crighton ancestors after 1865!

Thanks again,

Al

Offline dkmcad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 09 September 05 07:45 BST (UK) »
Glad to hear that, Al.  Hopefully you will now find the rest.    Dorothy

Offline elsie ellen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 09 October 05 06:52 BST (UK) »
Hi from Australia!

On my tree I have a Margaret Crighton Wilson who was born in Dundee in 1836, which leads me to believe that there could be a link to a Crighton grandparent or relative. Crighton usually is a surname.

Just on a wild of wildest possibilities on your tree do you have any links to families from this area with the surnames Wilson or Oliver?