Author Topic: Looking for Nellie Bennie, Medicine Hat  (Read 2725 times)

Offline A bairn

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for Nellie Bennie, Medicine Hat
« on: Sunday 06 May 12 18:51 BST (UK) »
Nellie (Ellen?) Bennie, maiden surname Cochrane born approx 1879 in Scotland. Daughter of Annie McCabe. Nellie lived at 116 Seventh Ave., Medicine Hat during the 1920s and is listed in the Street Directories until 1946 but not 1948 nor 1952. Does anyone know what happened to Nellie after 1946.
Her mother Annie McCabe lived with her until Annie died in 1936 and is buried at Hillside Cemetary. Would anyone have an obituary for Annie or Nellie  ?

Offline LindaGW

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Nellie Bennie, Medicine Hat
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 May 12 23:36 BST (UK) »
I don't have an obituary but in the 1934 directory Nellie is listed as the widow of George. 
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0m3m/
I wonder if there is a marriage record for Ellen Cochrane and George Bennie.

Linda

Offline A bairn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 May 12 02:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Linda thanks for replying. I've found Nellie living at 7th Ave for a number of years. It's possible she may have married in Scotland before emigrating to Canada. I'll look for a marriage certificate in Edinburgh. I'm pretty sure she died in Canada but I've been told that BMD are not online in Alberta and you have to hope there is an obituary in a newspaper. I've emailed the library in Medicine Hat to see if they have a copy of one for her and Annie.

Maureen

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 May 12 04:08 BST (UK) »
This is possibly her:

Nellie Bennie 
Arrival Date, 27 Jun 1920, at  Buffalo, New York,  Age: 37. 
Estimated Birth Year: 1883  Falket {Falkirk?}, Scotland
Departure Contact: Stepfather Janes {sic} Mckabe 
Arrival Contact: Frd {Friend?} Marget Mc Bride 
Manifests of Alien Arrivals at Buffalo, Niagara Falls, and Rochester, New York, 1902-1954. family search.org

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 07 May 12 12:17 BST (UK) »
It looks like Nellie and her mother, Annie McCabe, were trying to cross from Canada to the U.S. and were debarred from entering in October 1920 at Buffalo, New York.  They first started to cross in June 1920.

Nellie was 39, widowed, last permanent address was Medicine Hat.  Annie was 63, married, and had given Medicine Hat as her last address.  Contacts in Scotland were given as stepfather/husband, James McCabe.

Nellie had been living in the U.S. before (Yonkers) and gave dates of Aug 1908 - Aug 1919.  Had arrived on the Pretorian Aug 1920 at St. John.

Crossing the border to visit a friend, Mrs. Margaret McBride of Prospect Avenue, Yonkers New York

Debbie

Offline A bairn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 07 May 12 13:08 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Debbie that's really interesting. I have a copy of the application doc to enter in Oct 1920 and next to their names is LPC which I now understand means 'likely to become a public charge'. That surprised me as Annie was carrying $200, which I assume was a lot of money then. Do you know if there are docs somewhere giving her immigrration history and reasons for entry refusal ? I wonder if she had become a public chrage on a previous visit and they weren't going to risk it this time. Do you know if there are docs of people who became a public charge and the reason(s) for it ?
These searches are a wonderful detective story !

Maureen in Edinburgh Scotland