Author Topic: John Patrick Callan, RAFVR, finding relatives?  (Read 1009 times)

Offline Jake Drummond

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Patrick Callan, RAFVR, finding relatives?
« on: Sunday 06 May 12 19:34 BST (UK) »
I'm researching the life and death of an RAFVR airman, Wireless Operator Sgt. Charles Burton Hill, who lived in our wee Scottish village and died during air operations in 1944. His Lancaster was attacked by a German night fighter on the night of 29/30th August 1944 over the Baltic Sea and he, along with five other crew members, died in the cold waters 2 miles offshore from the village of Ahus.
The pilot remained at the controls until the crew were safely out, and his 'chute drifted ashore and he was interned in Sweden.
The last member of the crew was the Lancaster's tail gunner who was mortally wounded, probably unconscious and still in the turret of the 'plane as it plunged into the ground near Svenskop in Sweden, exploding on impact with a full bomb load aboard and more than half of their fuel load.
By sheer luck the 'plane missed the village by a few hundred metres, causing some roof damage to a nearby farm and no serious injury to anyone on the ground.
The Swedish research group 'Forced Landing Collection' did an excavation on the crash site a few years ago and have recorded their findings which helped disprove German claims that the 'non beligerent' Swedes brought the Lancaster down with anti aircraft fire, and we now have the night fighter pilot's records showing that it was indeed his aircraft which brought HK594 down.

Our local Heritage Centre would like to mount an exhibition of the story of Lancaster HK594 and it's crew, and I hope to be able to find images of each of the crewand I'm looking for help in tracing any information on the only crewman I've not found details for; Sgt. John Patrick Callan, 1777282 RAFVR, son of John and Annie Callan of Gateshead, County Durham.
John's family will be the last piece of the jigsaw as I have contact with family for the others in the crew and we'll meet up in August to commemorate their last take off from RAF Mepal.

I do so hope that someone will be there for John Patrick Callan, so if you think you know anyone who might be related I'd appreciate it if you would pass on my details.
Gardner, Ritchie, Adamson, Drummond, Dunigan, Kilday, Ireland, Horsburgh, Dick....and others.
Mostly all Fife in the 1900's, but obviously some Irish connections!

Offline ADM199

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: John Patrick Callan, RAFVR, finding relatives?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 May 12 21:03 BST (UK) »
Do you have the pilots name Jake, and have you got any report he made when he arrived back in the UK.
Prisoners of War. North Africa,Italy and Germany

Offline sharki

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: John Patrick Callan, RAFVR, finding relatives?
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 May 12 22:04 BST (UK) »
Jake,
Have you tried contacting 75 Squadron Association? They may well have some info on the chap 's family. I believe this is a strong association, both in the UK and New Zealand so someone may well have the info you seek.
Best of luck in your search.
Bomber Command 39/45.
Malaya Emergency