Author Topic: Request - Henry Ellis - Rossett  (Read 11887 times)

Offline Jetdragon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Request - Henry Ellis - Rossett
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 17 May 12 04:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Jo

Thanks for your continued help with this problem. I am not aware of any connection with the Huxley's - but of course that doesn't mean there isn't one. Holt is close to Farndon where the Povey's resided -so it's possible that they were friends with Mary Jane.

Henry remains a mystery - I guess this is a classic "brick wall".

I would be grateful if anyone does have access to the Parish registers of Rossett that they could see if there is any record of the birth or baptism of a Henry Ellis between 1865 and 1870 (with 1869 being the primary target).

Thanks & regards

Dave

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 17 May 12 09:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave

I checked a while ago but there's no mention of him in the parish records . It could be that the family were non-conformist or he was baptised in another parish  (but nothing coming up apart from the one that Jo mentioned in Chester), or baptised under another name/names  :-\

gnu
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 17 May 12 10:50 BST (UK) »
Is there any chance that someone could do a search for a Henry ??? baptised in Rossett 1866-1869? This would mean looking for other surnames but I was thinking he was born illegitimately which might identify him, or give some clues at least.

Jo.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 17 May 12 11:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Jo

If you see my last message, I've looked rather widely already.

Hi Dave

I checked a while ago but there's no mention of him in the parish records . It could be that the family were non-conformist or he was baptised in another parish  (but nothing coming up apart from the one that Jo mentioned in Chester), or baptised under another name/names  :-\

gnu

Also checked for various names - but none of them  or any of them could be him  :-\

gnu
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 17 May 12 11:15 BST (UK) »
The closest, which I saw  at the beginning of the week,  was a George Ellis bpt 12 Jan 1869 to an Ann Ellis, illegitimate.

Could be/could be not - maybe you or Dave could follow him up.

gnu

added -  rechecked -  I think he died shortly afterwards, which was why I didn't put it up :-\

Offline Jetdragon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 17 May 12 23:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks Gnu - lokks like I've got a problem with this guy :(

Dave

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 18 May 12 00:50 BST (UK) »
They sometimes appear when you're not looking, Dave  :-\

I'm slowly going through the Rossett Districts in 1871 trying to find some clues. There's an interesting family on the 1871 in the Allington (Trevalyn) part of Rossett:

Trevallyn, Allington
RG10/5651/73/21
John Ellis, widower, 76, ag lab
Ann, d, unm, 45
Samuel, grds, 21, ag lab
Sarah, grdd, 12
Jane, grdd, 7
Ann, grd,  12 mths
All b. Allington

Not saying that this is the family, just that it looks interesting and maybe worth looking in to.  The baptism that I mentioned above was from this part of Rossett.
Also a couple of households headed by Thomas Ellises.

It's getting late here but it might be worth you going through the pages for the other Rossett EDs - Burton in Denbs and then Marford and Hoseley* in Flintshire

gnu

*Added - checked Marford and H - nothing interesting there!

Offline Jetdragon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 17 May 13 06:21 BST (UK) »
Hi all

I've been away digging for a fair while on this mystery - I now have a potential lead which I'm hoping someone may be able to pick up on.

At Rossett Parish Church, there is a headstone for one Mary Ellis of Harwoods Lane, Rossett who died 26 Jan 1924 aged 78. This would put her at around 23 years old when Henry was born in 1869.

In the same grave is Thomas Ellis (Mary's husband) who died 23 Jul 1934 aged 83 and Sarah Ellis (Daughter) who died 7 Jan 1956 aged 78.

I'm really hoping that this is Henry's family - the location and dates fit - can anyone suggest an angle to follow to prove that?

Incidentally - I'm in Australia so visits to Parish record offices are not an option (just in case you think I'm a lazy B*gger).

Thanks

Dave

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 17 May 13 06:48 BST (UK) »
Hello

This looks like the family in 1881,  no Henry though:

RG11/5511/51/27
Allington
Thomas Ellis, 33, labourer
Mary, wife, 35
James, s, 11
William, s, 9
Elizabeth, d, 6
Sarah, d, 3
Thomas, s, 9 months
All b. Allington

Gadget