Author Topic: 16th Birmingham Girls' Life Brigade  (Read 12264 times)

Offline LittleNell44

• RootsChat Member
  • Little Nell ~ summer 1966
    • View Profile
16th Birmingham Girls' Life Brigade
« on: Tuesday 08 May 12 18:45 BST (UK) »
Does anybody know where I can find info about where the 16th Birmingham Girls' Life Brigade met and the date from when the group was active?

Many Thanks
searching - Lovesey (Worcs, Wilts) / Hickey (B'ham, Cork) / Turland & Buckler (N'hants, Warks) / Cannon (Ireland) / Hymas, Hayton, Warrior, Bowes, Hutchinson & Watson (Nth & West Ridings of Yorks)

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 16th Birmingham Girls' Life Brigade
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 May 12 19:35 BST (UK) »
The Girls' Life Brigade became part of the Girls' Brigade - might be worth contacting their HQ or county HQ? http://www.girlsb.org.uk/
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline LittleNell44

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 May 12 19:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks, I'll take a look at that website but so far I haven't been able to find anything on the 16th B'ham...

The reason I ask is because I'm trying to find out which of my grandad's cousins these girls are in the attached photo that was taken by a studio called 'D Thain' on Villa Street in Lozells - I'm interested to find out a rough time period and which area they may have hailed from.

Thanks
searching - Lovesey (Worcs, Wilts) / Hickey (B'ham, Cork) / Turland & Buckler (N'hants, Warks) / Cannon (Ireland) / Hymas, Hayton, Warrior, Bowes, Hutchinson & Watson (Nth & West Ridings of Yorks)

Offline sleepybarb

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 May 12 14:17 BST (UK) »
I don't know when but I've got my Mum's badges from around about the Second World War upstairs.
                               Barb
Briscoe-Midlands-Birmingham and Worcs.
Bragg-Birmingham.
Rayworth-Birmingham
Piper and Bevan Worcs and Herefordshire
Taylor -Birmingham

Offline LittleNell44

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 May 12 15:26 BST (UK) »
Hello Barb

Was your mom in the 16th B'ham GLB?... 

Thanks

Nell

Offline sleepybarb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 May 12 09:44 BST (UK) »
I don't know Nell
         Barb
Briscoe-Midlands-Birmingham and Worcs.
Bragg-Birmingham.
Rayworth-Birmingham
Piper and Bevan Worcs and Herefordshire
Taylor -Birmingham

Offline BeverleyDavis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 04 April 13 08:46 BST (UK) »
I know my post is somewhat out of date now, but I do hope the system is able to alert you about this. I'm currently writing a dissertation on the Girls' Life Brigade, so I may have a few clues as to how you could research this a little further. The Girls' Brigade, just outside Oxford, won't have these records. They were held in London at 'brigade headquarters' which was destroyed by enemy action in 1941 - I understand that all minutes, membership roles and records were destroyed.

The British Library does have some information one the GLB, though I doubt it will be sufficiently specific to give membership roles for the area you're searching. All GLB (and BLB) companies had to be affiliated to a church, Sunday school or bible study group - most were linked to churches and all of the churches were Nonconformist (Wesleyan, Baptist, Methodist Congregational etc), they may well have kept the records.

Having looked at rather a lot of GLB uniforms over the last few months, I can say that you are looking at the early days of the organisation. I would suggest 1920s at the latest.

I hope this has been of some help to you. If you do discover anything further - do let me know.

Offline LittleNell44

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 04 April 13 13:33 BST (UK) »
Hello Beverley

Thanks for your reply, all I was really curious about was a date (which you've assisted in) and a location where the 16th GLB might have met in order for me to narrow down the search for who these little girls might be.  I'll have another go at contacting the GLB.

Many thanks

Nell

Offline BeverleyDavis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 04 April 13 14:08 BST (UK) »
A pleasure to help.

I'd start with the 14th Birmingham Girls' Brigade (likely to be the successor organisation), as the GLB was integrated with the Girls' Brigade in the 1960s. http://peopleschapel.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/gb/ Otherwise, I think it will be a case of approaching the non-Church of England churches in the area, to see who might know.

The Girls' Brigade HQ would, I'm sure, love to help. They just haven't got the information. I know this from personal experience as I've been there and explored their archive for my paper. I'll have a look through my notes over the weekend, to see if I can find reference to 16th Birmingham GLB for you. May I ask where you found the company name? That might then shed some additional light.