Author Topic: Any help on Tipperary Artillery Regiment Please!COMPLETE  (Read 6279 times)

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Any help on Tipperary Artillery Regiment Please!
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 10 May 12 10:44 BST (UK) »
Another news item: the Sheffield Independent and also the Preston Chronicle of 13 September 1862 report a violent attack on Sergeant Flanagan of the staff of the South Tipperary Artillery Regiment of Militia. He was hit hard in the face with a stone by a man who stole his watch, outside the ordnance barrack gate in Barrack Street, Clonmel. His injuries were described as endangering his life.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gazza1966

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 10 May 12 17:44 BST (UK) »
Hi ShaunJ, :D

I don't know what to say, i'm really gobsmacked with the most useful information that you've come up with for me about my William and the whereabouts of his regiment, a big thankyou to you. ;D

Its a shame, they went back to Ireland early and missed the 1861 UK Census, then i would have alot of important information, never mind ay. :-X

JMF was born 25th August 1859, so he was conceived about November / December 1858.

I notice of the baptism of JMF baptism in 1860 in Sheerness, Kent, and everything added up, but in Kent so then i had my doughts, but as you've thankfully said the regiment was in Sheerness around March 1860, then i know for sure its my William.

I would like to know somehow, if my 2xgrandfather JMF had siblings, i know for sure i got to somehow find the marriage of William Flanagan and Mary or Mary Ann London, i notice theres isn't a marriage record in England 1837 - 1860 registar.

As for the marriage taken place in the quarters at Hurst Castle, would there be any sort of record for the public, i did also see on the 1851 UK Census Mary London born c1829 Tipperary, and wondering if thats my 3xgrandmother.

Thankyou
   Gary  ;)
McFarling - Quebec, Canada. and St.Helier, Jersey, Channel Is.
Flanagan - Waterford, Clonmel Co.Tipperary Ireland. Belfast N.Ireland.

Offline Mick_Dolan86

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 13 May 12 10:03 BST (UK) »
The Tipperary Artillery was a militia unit. There were two Militia Regiments in Tipperary, the Artillery was in South Tipp while in North Tipp they had an Infantry Regiment. If you Google Tipperary Militia Artillery you'll get a few hits. I don't know much abou this unit but I have seen some headstones in Clonmel to its members. This may be of some help

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/CoTipperary/2002-04/1019010680