Author Topic: Guernsey census 1851/61 Martha Gallienne  (Read 3582 times)

Offline kim ter-horst

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Guernsey census 1851/61 Martha Gallienne
« on: Friday 20 May 05 10:04 BST (UK) »
Hi all

Any information on Martha Gallienne (who married Robert Brown) and had Annie (1874) emily (1877) Emma (1878) and Robert (1880) john (about 1884) before coming to Sydney some time before 1899  would be gratefully received.  Anyone who wants more on this family after they arrived in Sydney, I can help, a bit.

I already have 1881 census with Martha Robert and the 4 children thanks to Nicky.

kim
london - ash/camplin/Bailey; yorkshire - simpson/tyson/pexton; cornwall - bennett hodge/gold; ireland - johnston/cusack kenny
Australia NSW/SA from 1850 onwards + germany (prussia), holland, dutch east indies

Offline Emsworthy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Bert & Ernie...we love you!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Guernsey census 1851/61 Martha Gallienne
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 May 05 10:23 BST (UK) »
Is this her?

Martha Gallienne, Servant, 18, General Servant, Torteval Guernsey

Working for Nicholas Lenfestey, Farmer.

RG09/4387 Pg2

Regards, Emma ;)
~Census Transcriptions, Crown Copyright, National Archives~<br /><br />All Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Warner (Essex) Edgley (Suffolk) Blake & Sparrowhawk (Lambeth) Hall & Gibson (Co. Durham) Brown (Yorkshire)

Offline kim ter-horst

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 May 05 10:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Emma

Could be but the 1881 census suggests she was born in 1848 that's about a 5 year difference.  It can't be that common a name, surely?

Kim
london - ash/camplin/Bailey; yorkshire - simpson/tyson/pexton; cornwall - bennett hodge/gold; ireland - johnston/cusack kenny
Australia NSW/SA from 1850 onwards + germany (prussia), holland, dutch east indies

Offline Emsworthy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Bert & Ernie...we love you!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 20 May 05 13:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Kim,

Have had a second look, and she is the closest.  What info do you already have about Martha?  If you can post that, it might make things clearer!

Maybe she has been mistranscribed, always a possibility!

Regards, Emma ;)
~Census Transcriptions, Crown Copyright, National Archives~<br /><br />All Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Warner (Essex) Edgley (Suffolk) Blake & Sparrowhawk (Lambeth) Hall & Gibson (Co. Durham) Brown (Yorkshire)

Offline kim ter-horst

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 May 05 03:10 BST (UK) »
HI Emma

All I really know is that she was born in Guernsey but is of French stock.  Her father's surname was Gallienne.   The 1881 census suggests she was born in 1848 - but census are frequently wrong.  I know she married Robert Brown (presumably in Guernsey) but I haven't found when.  I know they had at least 5 children, all born in Guernsey between 1874 and 1884.  I know they were in Australia by 1899.  I know the spouses of the oldest, Annie and the youngestm John.  I am awaiting an email from the grand daughter of John.

Family myth suggests that one of the children came to Sydney briefly (my GM's cousin believes they came for a holiday but who came to Australia for a holiday in 1890's?)  They are said to have liked it so much that they went home and convinced everyone in the family to come out here.  I find that a little unlikely - but if its true, it would explain why they aren't in any of the assisted immigrant indexes - wouldn't have needed assistance.

I think its likely that the one you found is the right one - to gain or lose 5 years across 20 census years is certainly not that unusual.

kim

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Ephraim's daughter to infinity & beyond
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 24 November 05 14:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kim,

I don't know whether you are still looking for this but it's your birthday... I thought I'd try and do something for you  :)

I have had a look at 1881 and the index says Martha was born in Torteval. Unfortunately I can't access the image to check her age.

The 1871 census has a Martha Galienne age 25, a servant at St Peter Port (where her children were born from 1874 on)

1891 has her age 44.

This is the closest I can see in 1851:
HO107/2531 447 10
Torteval, Guernsey
'Rougeval'

Peter Gallienne, head, 46, Fisherman Pauper, b. Guernsey Torteval
Martha, wife, 37, b. Guernsey St Saviour
Peter, son, 15, b. Torteval
John, son, 11, scholar, b. do.
Nicholas, son, 4, b. do.
Martha, dau, 7, scholar, b. do.
Margaret, dau, 2, b. do.

Plenty other Gallienne's around:
Previous household:
Abraham Galienne, head, unm, 69, Ag Lab, b. Torteval
Next household: 
Elizabeth Galienne, head, wid, 70, Pauper, b. Guernsey St Peter du Bois
John, son, unm, 35, Fisherman, b. Torteval 

+ a few houses away:
Peter Gallienne, head, 28, Fisherman and Ag lab, b. Torteval
Mary, wife, 32, b. do.
Mary, dau, 7, scholar, b. do.
Margaret, dau, 3, b. do.

Hope this helps - if not, then happy birthday anyway  :)

Tanja 

"My dear, I think the English pronounce it 'appiness"  

I'm afraid of no ghost

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dorothy_t

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 05 September 10 09:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Emma

Could be but the 1881 census suggests she was born in 1848 that's about a 5 year difference.  It can't be that common a name, surely?

Kim

Sorry Kim you are wrong there
Gallienne is the sort of a Guernsey Jones or Smith
Lots of them.  I was in the Priaux Library looking up my ancestors and got to a Gallienne - could not believe how many there were and did not have the time to go through them all
so far I have found

Martha 24 July 1815
Martha 1820
Martha 1829
Martha 12 July 1831

Marthe 1806
Marthe 1808
Marthe 1829
Marthe 21 April 1829

those ones with same years have different parents..

Dorothy