Author Topic: Gaskin family of Dublin  (Read 11441 times)

Offline Declan Griffin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Gaskin family of Dublin
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 09 November 19 12:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tony, the Bible is owned by my cousin one of the Griffin’s. It was handed down over the years and we assume it originally belonged to Cornelius Griffin or his wife Sarah. I can only assume as they were living in the same house that they were good friends. It also possible there was some connection between the families. Charles Gaskin(Sullivan) was only 39 when he died in Liverpool 27/02/1887. There are some newspaper articles on his death one in the Evening Telegraph Angus Scotland dated 3/03/1887 under the name Charles Sullivan.
Hope this helps
Regards Declan

Offline DGriffin

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 10 November 19 22:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tony, in addition to my post yesterday  I was looking back through records today to see if I could find any family connection and found the following.
Charles Gaskin (Sullivan) was married to Margaret Guilfoyle. Cornelius Griffin’s second wife Sarah Kinsley had previously been married to Daniel Guilfoyle in 1838.
As Margaret was born around 1850 it’s likely Daniel was her uncle making Sarah her aunt.

Offline TonyV

• RootsChat Senior
  • Expect the unexpected (I forgot to!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 10 November 19 22:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Declan

Thanks for everything you've posted. Your last post now makes more sense of the Gaskin/Sullivan details being in your own family bible. I was reading a book on FH the other day that talked about related or otherwise close families in the centuries before industrialisation staying in the same small areas for generations and inter-marrying. Apparently that continued to happen after people moved to the cities. It was because people with the same trade skills looked after each other and families who had moved could provide cheap board and lodgings for relations as they too moved. So people stayed close even after the cities expanded so fast in the 19th century. 

Thanks too for the stuff Dathai posted which were both interesting and sad.

I started this thread for my sister-in-law 10 years ago because she is part descended from the Gaskins. I know that as a result she has made contact with one of the earlier posters who was also a descendant but they didn't know each other previously. The wonders of Rootschat! She also now knows a lot more about Charles Gaskin the comedian. The clues are in the fact that Declan mentioned that Charles married Margaret Gilfoyle but Dathai's post of the Letter of Administration says that his widow was Mary.

My sister-in-law now has a link to the forum and this thread so I better be careful what I say in case my lovely sister-in-law is watching. :) 

Again I do appreciate all the help given by the many people who have added to this thread.

Tony

Offline bekign

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 01 November 21 12:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tony

I am a relative of Charles Gaskin. The junior in your post, born in 1910, son of Charles senior and Norah. He was my grandfather. Can I help you at all?