Author Topic: Is this my breakthrough moment?  (Read 1726 times)

Offline Colin Cruddace

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for GG Grandad... Must have GSH
    • View Profile
Is this my breakthrough moment?
« on: Thursday 10 May 12 01:27 BST (UK) »
I might have hit on something and am posting it before I forget  ::)

The big mystery in my research surrounds the birth of my Gt Grandad which was registered in 1852 at Ovenden, Halifax, as John Crudace born 31 Aug 1852, son of Elizabeth Bainbridge of Nursery Lane, Ovenden. Then John Crudace Bainbridge surfaces in 1861 as John Crudace age 9 (not 8 ?) as Grandson of James and Mary Crudace in Bishopton, County Durham. Subsequent census entries confirm his birthplace as Halifax, so I know I have the right John Crudace/Cruddace, but who is this Elizabeth Bainbridge?

Problems - His Granddad James married Mary Bainbridge and their first child was Elizabeth born a few months before they married and she was baptised as Bessie Bainbridge. She was raised as a Cruddace so would she be likely to revert to Bainbridge especially as she had earlier had an illegitimate daughter baptised in Bishopton.

Another suspect for his mother was Bessy Bainbridge of Bishopton, but she was getting on a bit (about 48) when John was born, and housekeeper of the local vicar Thomas Burton Holgate.

She was discounted almost immediately, for obvious reasons, but I've just been checking Historical Directories to see if there was a street directory for Ovenden and noticed that the Master and Matron of Halifax Union Workhouse were Mr Benj. & Mrs Holgate.

Could this be the connection I'm looking for?

Too late for me to look now but at least I have recorded it  ;D

Colin

Online Marmalady

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Is this my breakthrough moment?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 May 12 09:57 BST (UK) »
I'm sorry but i do not see what connection you are making between the Crudace/Bainbridges and the Holgates of the Workhouse

Its more likely that Elizabeth/Bessie used the surnames of Bainbridge & Crudace interchangably throughout her life and that she is the mother of John

I have an illegitimate ancestor who used both his parents surnames interchangeably throughout his life with no real rhyme or reason that i can work out -- some of his children are registered with one name, some with the other
Wainwright - Yorkshire
Whitney - Herefordshire
Watson -  Northamptonshire
Trant - Yorkshire
Helps - all
Needham - Derbyshire
Waterhouse - Derbyshire
Northing - all

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 May 12 10:30 BST (UK) »
sounds interesting ? 

xin

Offline Colin Cruddace

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 May 12 16:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Marmalady. I'm desperately clutching at straws here, I can't understand how any member of my Crudace or Bainbridge families would have a connection with the Halifax area, so I am thinking that Elizabeth Bainbridge might well be Betty (sorry, I called her Bessy earlier) the housekeeper of Rev. Holgate, and it is he who provides the link to Halifax.

Hi Xin, Interesting? Probably not my first choice for a description  ;D

Colin

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 May 12 16:32 BST (UK) »
Where would we be   ??? ::)  without these little twists and turns,    ;D
Tell you what I will swap for some of my brood... Mary Short for 1   arrrrggh

;D

xin

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 May 12 16:39 BST (UK) »
I have just re- read your post  ''''slowly''''  and had a thought?

Is it something as simple as changing her first name?  maybe she had something to hide...

I found one of mine after months of searching, and they had swopped Middle and Surnames....
???

But I agree see if you can find more on that there Revs lot and you may have it!

xin

Online Marmalady

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 10 May 12 17:16 BST (UK) »
ahh i understand the connection you are thinking about now

so young Betty Bainbridge (who could be related to the Betty Bainbridge housekeeper to the Vicar) gets into trouble, and the kindly Vicar arranges for her to go and stay with his relative who runs a workhouse down near Halifax

The "hiding" of her trouble does seem to come unstuck when she brings the child back for her parents to raise tho! -- altho he may just be visiting on census night rather than actually living with them
Wainwright - Yorkshire
Whitney - Herefordshire
Trant - Yorkshire
Helps - all
Needham - Derbyshire
Waterhouse - Derbyshire
Northing - all

Offline Colin Cruddace

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 10 May 12 20:10 BST (UK) »
I really didn't want to get into the nitty-gritty (again) with this, but finding the Holgate connection with Halifax has put a new slant on things. My Elizabeth was always known as Crudace, even when she baptised an illegitimate daughter in 1842 in Bishopton village. I can see no reason why she should be sent away to give birth to another illegitimate child 10 years later, let alone change her surname. It makes more sense for the vicar's housekeeper to be the mother. young John was brought up in the village, apparently by his grandparents, and attended school there.

Thanks for all suggestions  :)
Colin

Online Marmalady

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 10 May 12 22:42 BST (UK) »
But which Betty/Bessie/Elizabeth was the daughter of James & Mary Cruddace?

If he is being brought up as their grandson, he must be the child of their daughter

The Vicar's housekeeper could well be a relative (?Mary's sister?) but unless she was James & Mary's daughter, surely she is unlikely to be John's mother?
Wainwright - Yorkshire
Whitney - Herefordshire
Trant - Yorkshire
Helps - all
Needham - Derbyshire
Waterhouse - Derbyshire
Northing - all