Author Topic: Alsace: McBride  (Read 819 times)

Offline goulde1946

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alsace: McBride
« on: Saturday 24 April 10 23:00 BST (UK) »
Can anybody help in obtaining a birth certificate/marriage for a Gustave Emile McBride born Charleville,Alsace 1884. Hitting a brick wall. Assuming a Scot? married a French lady, but what was his Father doing in France in 1884.

Offline goulde1946

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Alsace: McBride
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 April 10 23:13 BST (UK) »
Further to my earlier request Gustave Emile McBride b 1884 married my g g Aunt Mary Jane Nangle

in Manchester in 1903. He died in Barnsley Yorkshire in 1947. :'(

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 April 10 14:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Goulde,

The obvious first question is: who was his father and what was his occupation? This will give you an idea of why the family might have been in France.

In 1901 in North Manchester (b. Manchester unless otherwise stated), I think this family are together:
(this is only info from a free index, there would be more on the originals)
James, 44, foreman bass (brass?) dresser.
Mary, 48
Amelia, 23, b. Sheffield, cigar maker
Gustave, 19, France, plumber
Frederick, 14
Herbert, 13, b. Salford
Mary A, 11

I can't see him in the consular/army birth indexes.
The problem with "Charleville, Alsace" as a place name is that there is doesn't seem to be a Charleville in the area that would be considered Alsace.

There is one in Ardennes (now Charleville-Mézières) but they've put birth indexes online and no McBride is showing for Charleville around that time.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Augustine

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 29 October 11 09:45 BST (UK) »
Can anybody help in obtaining a birth certificate/marriage for a Gustave Emile McBride born Charleville,Alsace 1884. Hitting a brick wall. Assuming a Scot? married a French lady, but what was his Father doing in France in 1884.
Hi,
Alsace was a part of Germany in 1884.
Miller, Millner, Mullaney, Sailer, Schweinler - New York
Müller - Baden, Germany
Mueller - Cleveland Ohio
Müller/Mueller - Bernergebiet, Switzerland

Offline mmb4363

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 May 12 20:37 BST (UK) »
Gustave Emile McBride was my Grandfather.  Born in France but registered as a british citizen.

I have always understood that he was born in Charleville and I have been to Charlewille and been throught all the records but we were unable to find any record.  They were very helpful and they are now trying to find the family in the census records.

The family were only there for a few years, his sister before him was born in Sheffield
in 1887 Gustave was born in France in 1882 and Frederick was born in Manchester in 1887, followed by Herbert in Salford in 1888 and Mary  in Manchester in 1890.

The reason for them being in France is not so clear but James their father was involved in the cotton trade in Manchester and Charleville was heavily involved in the fabric industry so I am given to suspect that this could be the link

I have only just come across this website and I can see that you have also questions regarding Gustaves wife (my Grandmother Mary Jane nee Nangle)

I would be happy to give you more dtail but for the moment I will forward this to you and await your response

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 May 12 11:31 BST (UK) »
Hi there, and welcome to Rootschat!

I've split the McBride posts off to their own topic. Hopefully goulde will be notified of your reply.

jorose
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk