Author Topic: Help decyphering a location - Knockmore  (Read 2090 times)

Offline Farrell Finder

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help decyphering a location - Knockmore
« on: Thursday 10 May 12 12:37 BST (UK) »
Blimey! I found them!!!  At 12:45 last night I was standing in front of my computer doing the dance of joy!  MayoAncestors.com (after buying credits to look at a couple of records) paid off BIG TIME!  But they do not seem to have any help decyphering their results.

I found my GGGGs thru 2 baptism records of their youngest children born in Ireland!!! I need help understanding all the different location names tho.

Name - Bridget Roach (Wm and Anne McAndrews are parents, my GGGG!!!!)
Denom - Roman Catholic
Address - Coolcronane
Parish - Backs/Knockmore
Region - North Mayo

Can you explain what/where Coolcronane is/was?  Also, I was told the family came from Ballina - is Knockmore in Ballina?

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Help decyphering a location - Knockmore
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 May 12 12:46 BST (UK) »
maybe the townland of Coolcronaun ?

It's a townland of about 560 acres, and located in the civil parish of Ballynahaglish, Poor Law Union of Ballina.

Backs/Knockmore are names for RC parish which cover the civil parishes of Ballynahaglish and Kilbelfad. These appear to be to close to Ballina.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Help decyphering a location - Knockmore
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 May 12 13:18 BST (UK) »
the townland is shown on Google maps as Coolcronan, and it's located about 3km east of the town of Knockmore.

Ballina to Knockmore to Coolcronan  (Google map)

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests