Author Topic: Marriage certificates  (Read 1582 times)

Offline valerie1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Marriage certificates
« on: Friday 11 May 12 15:08 BST (UK) »
I know years ago you could go to Somerset house in London and veiw certificates, is it possible to go and veiw certificates at the British Library ( this is what someone had told me) I need to veiw the certificate to see the brides fathers name as I don't have the grooms name but have all details on the bride and where she came from but have to go through several years apart to 1920 . I have sent for several certificates on line but the brides Father does not match. thank you

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage certificates
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 May 12 15:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Valerie

if you are concerned with looking for information for Denbighshire certificates, you would be able to view the information for marriages that took place in a Church of England. These can be viewed at Records offices (Ruthin and Hawarden)* and th National Library at Aberystwyth.

Marriages taking place at other places would not be viewable unless you purchased a certificate via the GRO.

Find My Past now has some of the C of E certificates online.

gnu

http://www.denbighshire.gov.uk/en-gb/DNAP-72BKX8
www.flintshire.gov.uk/archives
 and the A N Palmer Centre in Wrexham for parts of the county  http://www.wrexham.gov.uk/english/heritage/archives/catalogue.htm
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline valerie1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 May 12 17:27 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply my Great Aunt got married in Abergle, but they were Methodists so may not have been COE.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 May 12 19:20 BST (UK) »
Oh dear - a bit more difficult then  :-\

Maybe you could give any info about her (and the ones that were wrong)  and see if any of us could come up with possibles.

gnu
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline valerie1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 May 12 20:14 BST (UK) »
Hi gnu,

Here is my Margaret Davies known as Maggie, born Nov 1885 have her birth certificate have her in census up to 1911, she was a servant at the Market Vaults 1901 as a servant in a pub/butchers in Abergele 1911  .When her sister died in 1922 she had gone to Patagonia by then.
These are the marrage certificates i have looked at 1913/11b/554    1914 a4/01/06   1915/11b/706   1916 crwn/22/4   1920/11b/581.

I do not have the grooms name, her parents are Daniel and Emma Davies.

I don't know any other way of tracing here except to try looking at passenger lists just using the name Margaret and her age and destination which would have to be Argentina I guess.

I am assuming she would have sailed from Liverpool.

.As she stayed in Abergele up until she emigrated I'm guessing she married in Abergele.

Regards Val

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 May 12 20:21 BST (UK) »
It might be worth tackling it from the Patagonia end. I see that I put up some links back in January when William was looking:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,581508.msg4331888.html#msg4331888

Not sure if they're all that much use though as they don't give married women's initials  :-\

gnu

added - also this thread: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,467264.0.html

Offline valerie1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 May 12 12:24 BST (UK) »
hi gnu, thank you for all your help, I don't want to muddy the waters and I am not very good on family history but i have in my records as I have been looking for Maggie a long time a Rev Hugh Davies who baptised a family in Patagonia 9/4/1893 this is the Anglican Baptisms welsh colony chabut valley 1883 to 1903. I don't know if this man anything to do with the other person you helped . could you pass it on for me thank you.

Regards Val