Author Topic: Frederick DINSDALE Transported  (Read 3887 times)

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Frederick DINSDALE Transported
« on: Friday 11 May 12 20:24 BST (UK) »
Can someone advise please how I can find confirmation of Frederick Dinsdale being transport to Australia in 1857, tried at Warwick court.     Born about 1823 in Worcester and married Mary Ann Davis.
ASTON, Birmingham : TWIST, B.ham: HUNT, B.ham: LAYTON, Worcestershire: LAYTON, B.ham: BISHOP, Leic.: TYSALL, B.ham: BURLEY,B.ham: SCOTT,B.ham: FISHER, B.ham : PRICHARD,Wales: BEARD,Worc. : SCHREDER, USA

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
Re: Frederick Dinsdale Transported
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 May 12 22:08 BST (UK) »
I am a little unsure if your Frederick would have been a transported convict.

Most transportation ended in 1859 but continued for a few more years in Western Australia. There is no mention of a death of a Frederick Dinsdale in WA BDM's.

Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 May 12 22:41 BST (UK) »
I have found two Frederick Dinsdales in 1851 census both born Worcester one in 1824 a Solicitor and one born 1823 a Tailor married to a Mary a dressmaker with a daughter Rosina 1 year old.

Neither of these Fredericks appear in any other census after.

Is either of these yours?

Neil

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 May 12 22:51 BST (UK) »
Your Frederick only got 4 years for fraud so very unlucky/unlikely to be transported. However he may have left England for other parts.

Neil

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 May 12 23:02 BST (UK) »
Thank you for these respones.   He was the Frdk Dinsdale who was shown as tailor on 1851 census.   I found 3 Criminal records entries for him on Ancestry - 1850 3 months imprisonment for larceny / 1852  Larceny and in transportation column 7 years / but in 1857 there appears to be a tick in the transportation column and 4 years indicated for penal servitude.

I couldn't find him or Mary Ann in 1861 census but in 1871 Mary Ann was shown as widow.

I am attaching a copy of the entry for 1857 (I hope it comes through OK) and could you also transcribe the words for his crime please.

Many thanks for any help.
ASTON, Birmingham : TWIST, B.ham: HUNT, B.ham: LAYTON, Worcestershire: LAYTON, B.ham: BISHOP, Leic.: TYSALL, B.ham: BURLEY,B.ham: SCOTT,B.ham: FISHER, B.ham : PRICHARD,Wales: BEARD,Worc. : SCHREDER, USA

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 May 12 23:56 BST (UK) »
Here is the link to his record from Warwickshire.

http://www.warwickshire.gov.uk/Web/corporate/pages.nsf/Links/3C3BECFC9AF8FC7B80256E7E0056B9FE

My thoughts are that he must have died over there.

Neil

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 12 May 12 09:33 BST (UK) »
Well that is a very interesting website I didn't know about ! so thank you for that link.

I don't think the page I referred to came through so will send it again.

Why do you think it shows he was given 7 years in 1852 but then in court again in 1857 ?   I didn't think they would let them out before the end of their sentence at that time.    If he had Penal Servitude, was that just other words for  him going to  jail ?    It doesn't seem to indicate on the record link you sent to me, that he was transported.

Was it likely anyone came back from Australia when their sentence finished ?  Did the Government pay for them to come back or did they have to find the money ?

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 12 May 12 18:23 BST (UK) »
Hullo again,

I don't know anything about his term in 1852, but you did have a working Justice system. He could have had had his sentence set aside, because his accuser may have proved a liar on appeal, he could have been released for being a model prisoner?

I don't think he was transported. He could have been just deposited on one of the hundreds of Prison Hulks (Ships/Barges) that never left port. Penal servitude means just that, sent to prison.

Some did make their way back in the later days of Transportation. They had to have a certificate of freedom, not just a ticket of leave. None went back prior to 1840 as far as I know. No Government paid their passage back unless they were proved to be wrongly accused. Some worked as crew and were able to get back that way, others gained wealth paid their own way and some returned several times. MOST did not and no Lifers were sent back as far as I am aware.

Hope you are able to find his death somewhere in England.

Neil ;)

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 13 May 12 00:20 BST (UK) »
Did they have children, Henry, Mary A and James?

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams