Author Topic: Italian Immigrants to UK and Ireland  (Read 6254 times)

Offline Capo1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Italian Immigrants to UK and Ireland
« on: Saturday 12 May 12 11:43 BST (UK) »
I am still researching my Italian Families steps that they had taken when leaving Cassino in Frosinone, Italy.
They always lived and followed the rest of the Italian Communities whilst travelling. The Head of the Family had different occupations at different times and places. When they were in Bristol, he was a Street Musician, in Edinburgh a Street Musician, Restauratuer and Ice Cream maker, and in Dublin a Ice Cream maker, Street Musician and Cafe Owner.

I would like to share information with anyone who has this similar path with their Ancestors?

Names of my Ancestors from Cassino are:

Capaldi/Capaldo
Tedesco
Minchella
Di Placido
Franchitto
Tamilio
Tomasso/Tomassi
Verrecchia
Marrocco
Carmasino
Costantino
Niro
Polini

Names connected to my Ancestors are:

Di Mambro
Valente
Colacicco
Arpino
Caringi
Macari
Innelli
Ambrosino
Di Cola
Cordani
D'Agostino
Di Giacca
Lanni
Neri
Pacitto/Pacitti
Risi
Salera
Sigliocolo
Velardo
Torrice
Venditelli

Look forward to replies!

Jamie Capaldi

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Italian Immigrants to UK and Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 May 12 11:49 BST (UK) »
Is there a particular period when these families left Italy? quite often this would have happened over several generations with younger ones joining older relatives or friends in the new country.

Until 1921 all Ireland was part of the United Kingdom (the 6 counties of Northern Ireland are still). Have you searched 1901 and 1911 census for the names (keeping in mind foreign names might be mis-transcribed you could try searching with only 'Italy' as a birthplace).
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/

1911 census shows 372 people who listed their birthplace as Italy. In 1901 there were 264.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline reflector

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 May 12 12:17 BST (UK) »
You are so lucky to know where in Italy they came from, My Gt Grandfather Francesco Travi came to Uk 1870's and only put Italy on census and other documents, Francesco was the only Travi to enter Uk and the Travi line in UK came from him.
Brickwall for me im afraid but Good Luck to you.
Travi
Clark London/Hertfordshire
Dilley London
Trout Devon
Wickert london/Germany
Rowe Devon/London

Offline Capo1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 12 May 12 12:52 BST (UK) »
Aghadawey, thanks for post. I have all the census docs for my Family except 1901 for the Wife and Children?
I know The Head and the 2 eldest sons were travelling from Edinburgh to Dublin, and were found as Musicians Boarding just north of Dublin. I can only guess the Wife and Children returned to Italy to stay with Family for about a year?

My Family 1st came over about 1891 to Bristol, UK.

Reflector, As Francesco's Wife was born in Islington, London, the chances are they would have been married in the UK. If you can get their marriage cert. it may give you more clues, etc?

Thanks Jamie

Offline clayton bradley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 12 May 12 19:05 BST (UK) »
There was a famous architect called Francis Xavier Velarde who died about 1960. I hadn't realized it was an Italian name, although he was certainly Catholic. He was from Liverpool, claytonbradley
Broadley (Lancs all dates and Halifax bef 1654)

Offline Capo1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 12 May 12 20:29 BST (UK) »
Yes, i believe his Father was called Julio Ricardo?! Was he not from Chile?

Velardo is from Cassino area in Italy!

Offline reflector

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 13 May 12 12:53 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I do have their Marriage cert but only Italy and fathers name Francis Travi a Taylor, they were married in Islington and his wife was a Sarah Barney she's another brick wall.

Sandra
Travi
Clark London/Hertfordshire
Dilley London
Trout Devon
Wickert london/Germany
Rowe Devon/London

Offline Capo1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 13 May 12 14:23 BST (UK) »
Hello Sandra,

Very strange? I also can't find details?
Can i possibly have a copy of the marriage cert to look at? My email is (*)

Jamie

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 13 May 12 15:08 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I do have their Marriage cert but only Italy and fathers name Francis Travi a Taylor, they were married in Islington and his wife was a Sarah Barney she's another brick wall.

Sandra
Hard luck about the dearth of Italian information.  I had a similar experience with my German ancestor who appears to have been born about the same time as yours and migrated to the UK when he was 10yrs and 2 days old in the mid 1860s.   He was brought by an uncle who left his homeland because he didn't want to serve in the forces and thus was a draft dodger from the upheaval caused by wars on the European mainland.  I see there's a modern Italian map showing the dispersal of  surnames and I see from the 1881 census that your ancestor was a metal worker - this could indicate he was from industrial northern Italy.  I've put the link to the map below - with a bit of luck you may be able to find a map giving 19th century surname dispersal.

BTW I found my ancestor's original village home by looking at a similar map, calculating his month/year of birth from dates of census/marriage and also working out his parents by the naming pattern of his children.  I then emailed the district dioces church archives giving my calculations who didn't take long to find him for me.

http://www.gens.info/italia/it/turismo-viaggi-e-tradizioni-italia?cognome=Travi&x=32&y=13

Good luck
Rena
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke