Author Topic: Wroughton  (Read 1979 times)

Offline shejos

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wroughton
« on: Saturday 12 May 12 16:00 BST (UK) »
House with a stream running under it?  Elene/twelve years ago I visited Wroughton with my father and we found the house where I was conceived!  Alas did not take a picture.  From memory: we were in the main street, there was a coffee shop on left hand side of road.  Further back on same side there was a smallish driveway leading to offices/some kind of commercial building, somehow I have it in mind it may have been social services/health related - unsure.  As you go up the short drive there is a little house on the left with a tiny stream running underneath it.  Does anyone living in Wroughton recognise this, could identify it for me.  Would be very grateful.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Wroughton
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 May 12 17:01 BST (UK) »
Tricky?! Wroughton has 3 main roads that converge!

However, there IS a stream that runs along the north side of High Street, crosses under the road, then runs along the southerm edge of High Street.

House over the stream at Fairwater Court?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 May 12 10:04 BST (UK) »
Google streetview might help.  Although I'm sure it looks different now, you might spot something that looks familiar.

Jane :-)
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
MCDONALD,MCFADEN,MEARS,MILLARD
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL
WADE,WAGER,WALKER,WATSON,WEBB,WITHRINGTON,WOOD

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 May 12 13:58 BST (UK) »
I agree a map might help.  If you google Fairwater Court, Wroughton (as suggested by KGarrad) and then move the map around you'll be able to follow the stream and see where you think you might have been.  Then you can look at that on a streetview to see if it triggers any memories.

If it is where KGarrad thinks, then I guess the house has been demolished.

Lizzie

ps.  Barrett Way is a short road of Devizes Road which leads to the local health centre and a pharmacy also a car park.  If you drive through the car park you get to another smaller car park and small shopping area (Ellendune).  That can't be the short road you mean though, as on the left was a farmhouse with an old barn (Listed) which was falling down and then was mysteriously burned down.  There's been modern houses there now for about 12 years or more.

Offline Ewan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 May 12 16:19 BST (UK) »
shejos

If you send your email address by way of pm I have some photos to share with you.

Ewan

Offline shejos

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 May 12 19:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you to all who have replied here, I am very grateful for your thoughts.  Had looked at google maps earlier but couldn't find my 'memories' apart from thinking the Honey Pot looked like my cafe.  Fairwater Court IS about where I remember but of course Google maps street view doesn't go down it.  My suspicion is the house COULD be behind the building on the left hand corner!  Looks hopeful . 
Live in Lancashire so not round the corner, but I will certainly go and look next time I get a trip down south.
Thank you.

Offline Ewan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 May 12 20:31 BST (UK) »
shejos, 7 photos winging their way to you now hope they are what you are looking for.  Also see this link and note the difference to the front of the house as it is now.  Also note it is Fairwater House and not Court.

http://www.dicklovett.co.uk/Dick-Lovett-Group/History.html  (scroll down to second picture)

Ewan

I seem to have trouble sending these photos through, I will try a couple at a time to see if that helps............... done :)